show quality speckled sussex ??

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the SOP' started by math ace, Dec 13, 2010.

1. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    ChestnutRidge that is some nice even mottling! [​IMG]

2. math ace

math ace Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    Quote:Welcome aboard Karen. Thank you for your insightful comments. [​IMG]
    Judging by the typical hatchery quality bird, I would say that this breed is being selected for egg production as opposed to the original intended dual purpose. The birds tend to lack the size needed to earn the title "Dual Purpose". I haven't been watching the egg laying rate of my flock yet. [​IMG] They are simply so undersized... that I am more concerned with increasing their size.

I have the SS in a pen next to my delawares.... The delawares out weigh and out lay the ss.

Thank you again for sharing your readings and recommendations with us. [​IMG]

3. ChestnutRidge

ChestnutRidge Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2011
    Western Virginia
    Quote:Thanks! Although I really can't take credit for him. [​IMG]

I've figured out my scale situation. I have little digital kitchen scale which goes up high enough, so I'll try to pull him off the roost tonight and get a weight. He looks huge to me, but I don't have any other breeds that are supposed to be so large.

4. ChestnutRidge

Feb 26, 2011
    Western Virginia
    Quote:When I google "chicken 'head points,'" I see many references to this but no definition. Can someone please explain?
    [​IMG]

5. ChestnutRidge

Feb 26, 2011
    Western Virginia
    Presently surprised! My husband and I just weighed the SS cockerel. He'll be 23 weeks old this coming weekend, and he weighs 6.72 pounds.

ETA: Now I am thinking I will order more hatching eggs from the same source this spring. I think they are a pretty fair starting place, and I am loving how friendly the SS are. They are my husband's favorites, so that may seal the deal.

I really haven't been able to get any good shots of the pullet. She is always moving. Anyhow, here are some pictures just to show her general shape. I personally think she is way too white now. She may also have a bit of a smallish head. She hasn't reddened up yet, so she doesn't have an adult look.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 29, 2011
  6. snowbird

snowbird Overrun With Chickens

May 28, 2010
    Wolverine Country
    Quote:Take a good look at the SOP before you order more like this if you plan on breeding to the SOP

7. math ace

math ace Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    Hey snowbird! [​IMG]
    I am hatching SS today.... It is going well right now!

I am about to call it quits for tonight. The hatching started in the wee hours of the morning. Dh and I did not get much sleep after 1 am or so.
    I see another pipping, so it looks like it will be another noisey night [​IMG]

8. ChestnutRidge

Feb 26, 2011
    Western Virginia
    Quote:Take a good look at the SOP before you order more like this if you plan on breeding to the SOP

Certainly, and thank you for commenting. I was thinking that the size was pretty decent on the cockerel for his age, in part because he was a small chick compared to the others. (ETA: Meaning that if I had a larger selection of normal sized chicks from the same source, I would likely be able to select a larger bird.) However, I see on page 1, the summarized SOP states that cockerels should be 7.5 pounds. I am not sure by what specific age that should be achieved. I think his legs and hers are close together, meaning the frame is probably quite small, and her coloring is too white. However, compared to my other breeds, they appear to be gigantic.

I don't think I understand the back shape and term "pinched tail," so I don't know if I have issues with that.

What would you consider to be their greatest fault?

Last edited: Sep 29, 2011
  9. Indianfeathers

Indianfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    Certainly, and thank you for commenting. I was thinking that the size was pretty decent on the cockerel for his age, in part because he was a small chick compared to the others. (ETA: Meaning that if I had a larger selection of normal sized chicks from the same source, I would likely be able to select a larger bird.) However, I see on page 1, the summarized SOP states that cockerels should be 7.5 pounds. I am not sure by what specific age that should be achieved. I think his legs and hers are close together, meaning the frame is probably quite small, and her coloring is too white. However, compared to my other breeds, they appear to be gigantic.

My cockerel was also a tiny thing when he was a chick. I thought he was going to be a runt bird....because he was so much smaller then the rest. On the other hand he ate the most food (a real food hog) and in the long run he became a big handsome boy!

10. fowlman01

fowlman01 Overrun With Chickens

Sep 2, 2010
    Sonoma County CA

I don't think I understand the back shape and term "pinched tail," so I don't know if I have issues with that.

What would you consider to be their greatest fault?

If you go to the Delaware thread you will see some examples of pinched tails. They just posted them today.

Walt

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by