show quality speckled sussex ??

I raised bantam & standard Speckled Sussex in the 90's. All of them were Overton line. I took on a more demanding job and had kids playing sports in  school and college  so I sold all my birds. Now that all the kids are almost raised and more relaxing job I thought I'd start raising them again. Some of my birds did make it to Canada . There was a dentist from Canada that came to the APA Nationals in Columbus, Ohio one year. He bought a trio of standard Speckled Sussex from me . He had quite a few Light Sussex with him so he gave me three of them so his paperwork would match the total of birds that he came in with. I never heard back from him but always wondered what happened to them :) Still looking for the bantams though.

That's so great! I can't wait to see what you do with your new birds. I had a terrible time finding anything decent. It took years to gather what I have. But now I do know a breeder up here with amazing birds and I'm sure hers are Overton. The best quality birds I have came from a farmer who had not shown them in about 25 years and there were only a few left. I guess I will find out later this month about the quality of my birds. I'm going to show them for the first time--really just for feedback. I've yet to have someone really knowledgable have a look at my birds in person.
If you have time to critique them please have a look at my pictures. I posted a few a page or two back :)
And be honest :)

I think your birds look good. I wouldn't mind having a few of them. Just watch the white in the tail and wings of the roosters. If you think some of your females are to dark in color throw a lighter male in with them. If you think your females are to light in color throw a darker male in with them. Judging will be all over the place. I think some judges don't see the breed enough to recognize a good one from a bad one :) Sometimes you have so many nice birds it gets rough to decide who to show and who not to . I won a Best of Show with a bird that I showed in a trio. Good Luck and let us know how you do !

Sorry about the quality of this photo. This was one of my better roosters that I had back in the day. I could never get the white totally out my rooster's tail. When I went to Walt Reichert's this past weekend I noticed almost none of his roosters had this issue. He has had the Overton line for 15 years now and I think he took it to the next level. The two roosters I got from him are the best two I've ever owned. I do have a few photos of my old stock on www.feathersite.com .

I kept this guy as one of my breeders last year. He had no white at all--although he moulted into a bit this fall. His ground colour is just too light overall and he's a bit of a flyweight. I penned him with my heaviest female--also with good colour and so far their offspring are looking pretty good --the females are heavy like their mom but the boys are like their dad--great colour but too small.
I hope you get a chance to post some pictures of your new males :)

I kept this guy as one of my breeders last year. He had no white at all--although he moulted into a bit this fall. His ground colour is just too light overall and he's a bit of a flyweight. I penned him with my heaviest female--also with good colour and so far their offspring are looking pretty good --the females are heavy like their mom but the boys are like their dad--great colour but too small.
I hope you get a chance to post some pictures of your new males :)

I would kill for that rooster! Man! Looking at all of your stocks is an inspiration!

Your wings look good on the rooster. We had some almost solid white feathers show up in some of our roosters. If you have one of these feathers in a male or female pull it out and 8-10 weeks later a new feather will grown in it's place and sometimes change color to what you want. I like the body type of the rooster in the photo and just the way he carries himself. I just can't see how big he is but he looks good and I'm sure a lot of people would like to own him :)

I would kill for that rooster! Man! Looking at all of your stocks is an inspiration!

Thank you so much, Ace! I never stop to see my flock as an inspiration. I'm always too busy looking at birds I wish I had.
I'm going to weigh that guy tonight. I know he's smaller than the others-- but I just realized my 5 1/2 month old cockerel that I'm planning to show already weighs 8 1/2lbs-- and he looks small beside his father. The scale I've been using was 1 1/2lbs under. I just got a new digital fish scale and finally have accurate weights.
I wish you were closer--that guy has a slew of sons even nicer than himself. And we are going to eat them!!! :(

Thank you so much, Ace! I never stop to see my flock as an inspiration. I'm always too busy looking at birds I wish I had.
I'm going to weigh that guy tonight. I know he's smaller than the others-- but I just realized my 5 1/2 month old cockerel that I'm planning to show already weighs 8 1/2lbs-- and he looks small beside his father. The scale I've been using was 1 1/2lbs under. I just got a new digital fish scale and finally have accurate weights.
I wish you were closer--that guy has a slew of sons even nicer than himself. And we are going to eat them!!!
sad.png

I would love one! :) A few months ago, I contacted Tony Albritton, and I plan to get some of his stock in the spring.
lol.png

My roo has one white wing feather and one white tail feather. I hatched one egg this fall from him and one of my darker hens... but the little roochick has a white wing feather on both sides! I just need a nice trio to start off with. I think it's worth the investment.

Last edited:
I would love one! :) A few months ago, I contacted Tony Albritton, and I plan to get some of his stock in the spring. :lol:

My roo has one white wing feather and one white tail feather. I hatched one egg this fall from him and one of my darker hens... but the little roochick has a white wing feather on both sides! I just need a nice trio to start off with. I think it's worth the investment.

Oh --that's exciting! I can't wait to see them when you get them!
Sometimes the little guys lose those white wing feathers as they grow.

Back
Top Bottom