Show quality?

emzee

Songster
10 Years
Aug 18, 2009
I have 3 white non-bearded silkies and 1 rhode island red that I am thinking about showing. I have showed silkies a few times before but I would just like to be sure that these 3 are show quality before I start showing again. I have never showed rhode island reds before and have no idea if this hen is show quality. Can anyone tell me whether these 4 chickens are show quality or not?

White non-bearded silkie cockeral:
39398_pansy2.jpg

White non-bearded silkie pullet:
39398_oakley.jpg

White non-bearded silkie hen:
39398_poppy.jpg

This hen had gotten a deep gash on her neck a few months ago and although it healed, you can still kind of see where a flap of skin sticks up from it. Will this disqualify her?
39398_poppys_scar.jpg

Rhode Island Red pullet:
39398_mine.jpg

Thanks in advance for any help!

i show silkies, and i have the basic qualifications for a bird. Does it have 5 toes? no other colors other than white? ( my black roo was disqualified because he had several buff feathers.) The tail looks a bit long on the cockerel. The gash will probably not disqualify your hen, but if you are showing, you might have to explain it when showing the right/left side. I am not sure about the breed show, though.

Yes, all my silkies have 5 toes and are pure white. Will the long tail on the rooster be counted as a defect?

Were are you planning on showing these?? If you are planning on showing in local 4-H shows or something similar these are fine. If you are planning on showing in an open show with legitimate competition I would be surprised if a judged placed them at all. It just depends on how you are showing them and what you expectations are. If you are entering the birds as an excuse to go to a show and meet new people and learn from them...that is great. If you are wanting to win it won't happen.

Some faults of the birds

All the birds appear to have come from a hatchery, thus lower quality

The overall type on the silkies is not round enough. Their crests are too small, their feathers are not good quality, and the tail on the male is a major defect.

The type on the Rhode Island Red is more like a commercial bird. She does not have a long level back, and is small in size. She also is too light to be competitive

I hope this will help answer your questions as to wether or not they are show quaility. I didn't mean to be harsh..it just depends on what you expectations in showing are.

I was planning on showing them in open competition. Winning isn't too important to me, I'm mostly doing it for the experience. I actually bought the silkies from a breeder, but I don't know where they originally bought theirs from. What do you think about showing the hen and pullet just for the experience? We bred the Rhode Island Red, but her parents were hatchery stock. What do you think about using her for breeding? Thanks for your honest opinion.

Vaulted skull is not required; and I see no evidence as to whether they have one or not. However, the silkies are not show quality. Breeders will usually ask your purposes when you ask if they have birds a available. I know that I sell or give away many birds that do not make the cut for showing or breeding. However I would never say that a bird was show potential unless I felt that it was a good sample of the breed.

Yours just don't have the right type or proportions. Non-bearded silkies do usually have much smaller crests; your cock seems to have a better crest than wither the hen or pullet, although the angle of hte photos isn;t very good for assessing the birds--a level photo would be much more helpful. The pullet seems to be almost completely lacking in foot feathers; can't tell about the hen due to the photo. As has been stated, the tails have too many hard feathers--they should be soft and rounded, more like a cochins, but silkied.

The injury may or may not count against your bird--it is not in and of itself a DQ, but unless it is obvious that it is a healed/healing injury, it could be viewed as poor conditioning. For exhibition there is no opportunity before judging to tell a judge about your bird--there is usually time after judging to ask questions. Showmanship and exhibition are different things, and have diferent requirements. Also, showmanship seems to vary drastically from one area to another. In some areas, any bird can be used, in other places quality purebred SQ or near-SQ birds are required.

Showing for the experience is always useful, but I would probably say pick your best bird and only show the one; and consider purchasing some better quality birds if there are any available (most shows have sales areas).

Back
Top Bottom