Show us your nest boxes! Ingenous design post it here!

Pics
You're welcome. I thought they made great nest boxes (course, I forgot I was doing the outside nesting boxes...duh! lol)

To Texas Lisa: I don't have a cat but a friend of mine does. He used the litter containers to store feed. About 50% of his flock stopped laying and several died for no known reason. I don't know the litter brand. You may want to check with a vet before using the containers for any length of time. JUST AS A PRECAUTION. Because my friend's chickens may have died from some other reason.

Hi Bill! Thank you for letting me know that. I am sorry to hear about your friend's loss. I haven't used the buckets yet, but I will keep that in consideration. I planned on washing them out real well with bleach water and soap and then let them air dry for several days.

Have a great day!

Lisa :)

I keep finding new threads and think I maybe put something in the wrong place!
th.gif
So here is the link for where I posted pics of my nesting duplex!
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/631861/diy-thread-lets-see-your-inventions/480#post_11060123
D.gif

PS: I just love these little insert animations!!

Is it OK to paint these things or will the chickens peck at it and would that be bad for them?

Last edited:
I keep finding new threads and think I maybe put something in the wrong place!
th.gif
So here is the link for where I posted pics of my nesting duplex!
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/631861/diy-thread-lets-see-your-inventions/480#post_11060123
D.gif

PS: I just love these little insert animations!!

Is it OK to paint these things or will the chickens peck at it and would that be bad for them?

Hey, that is also a great thread, and I follow it avidly. Such amazing, inventive and creative people! Not me, sadly.

I've been looking through all these great ideas and I really like the kitty litter buckets! I plan to use one to make a waterer - my parents have cats and save me the buckets.

Are the litter buckets big enough for all kinds of chickens to nest in? I'm looking at one and it looks kinda small. I'm getting BRs, never had chickens before so I don't know how big they are relative to a litter bucket.

Here is my external nest box that I just finished. I saw a thread where the discussion was whether to have access from the top or front. I couldn't make up my mind, so I designed it to open both ways. The top access will make collecting eggs easier while being able to access the boxes from the front will simplify periodic cleaning. There will be three dividers in it making four 12" holes.
164934_4886241481084_1717380768_n.jpg
253282_4886242001097_495801221_n.jpg

934782_4886242681114_833793895_n.jpg
946438_4886243601137_356132878_n.jpg

Back
Top Bottom