Show us your nest boxes! Ingenous design post it here!

Pics

these ones are what I am thinking of using. Putting this inside the boxes, so we can build a perch in front of it. What do you think?

Actually in rethinking this, cannot use covered ones, as I am doing the external nest boxes and coming in from the top to get the eggs, so will just do the regular pans in the box.

Pappy,

What is this and where did you get it? It's wonderful! Thanks, 7

Pappy,

What is this and where did you get it? It's wonderful! Thanks, 7

I know! It's a Booda Dome, not to be confused with the Booda Dome with steps. It's available at some pet stores and online for about $30. I like it too.
thumbsup.gif

When we first got chickens 3 years ago, they were chicks and hung out with the horses during the day. Went to feed the horses in a tractor tire (given to us by a neighbor) and found an egg in it. Moved the tire into the coop they were in at the time and have been using one ever since. In the new coop, we split the tire and made 2 levels. My husband put a shelf between them because the girls were fighting over the top level and pushing each other out. As you can see, they no longer prefer the top level. 20 hens share this setup and seem real happy with it.

Next pic is after I removed the eggs. 9 eggs in 16 hours, not bad considering it snowed less than 2 weeks ago and the girls are just getting up to speed.

I was sure we were going to need boards on the ends to keep the eggs from falling out, but the chickens don't like to be near the edges so it hasn't been an issue.

Just a typical side hanging nesting box...I've got shredded junk mail for the nesting box (I've since added a low "lip" to contain the paper in the box).

Back
Top Bottom