Show us your nest boxes! Ingenous design post it here!

Pics
Love the flag!
woot.gif

i have the crates from walmart with paper shavings sitting under poop board so far 1 egg not in nest box on poop board my girls 3 and half months they love to play with the shaved paper
how to get them to lay eggs in boxes??

these ones are what I am thinking of using. Putting this inside the boxes, so we can build a perch in front of it. What do you think?

Actually in rethinking this, cannot use covered ones, as I am doing the external nest boxes and coming in from the top to get the eggs, so will just do the regular pans in the box.

I've got those too - once the girls worked them out there was a queue for them while the regular nest boxes were ignored. There are weight issues as with all plastic ware, ie tipping over and having the lid displaced. I wedged mine up to keep it from moving - if you tack them down it's too hard to clean them. I got mine from Amazon and when they asked me to "rate the product" (as a kitty litter bin) I wrote about how my girls loved it and laid their eggs no where else.
lol.png

Here is my external nest box that I just finished. I saw a thread where the discussion was whether to have access from the top or front. I couldn't make up my mind, so I designed it to open both ways. The top access will make collecting eggs easier while being able to access the boxes from the front will simplify periodic cleaning. There will be three dividers in it making four 12" holes.
164934_4886241481084_1717380768_n.jpg
253282_4886242001097_495801221_n.jpg
934782_4886242681114_833793895_n.jpg
946438_4886243601137_356132878_n.jpg
Looks great! Very similar to what we are building. What are you planning on putting inside or will the hens just lay on bedding on the wood? I would like to have a plastic insert to make cleaning easier but not sure if this is completely necessary??

Last edited:
Okay, there was a sale on Powerade and Fuze drinks a few weeks ago. The cardboard trays make perfect nests! At least my pullets think so! I have an old plastic " cubby" drawer, a tomato basket with the handle cut off and the cardboard box to choose from. They like the drawer and the cardboard box.

Back
Top Bottom