Show us your nest boxes! Ingenous design post it here!

Pics
I went with the 5 gal bucket idea under my roost table saved a lot of space in my 8x8 coop .they are just zip- striped down so when a hen goes to brood I can move the bucket to the brooding pen.

We had some sharing issues, and my one hen really needed to lay. So we had to go to desperate measures. I built a new nest box and painted both of them to give my coop some color.

Here's my nest boxes. I attached them from the outside so there'd be more room in the coop. I put a 2x2 bar across the front so they'd have something to jump up on too. Hard to see it in this pic.

Our 4 girls aren't laying yet but I put their nest boxes in about 2 weeks ago. We're at about 17 weeks so hopefully in a few weeks. Once we use up the rest of the shavings we bought for the brooder box we may switch to straw in the nests. I have 2 pingpong balls in each box right now. The little roost bar in front of the box is about 23" off the ground. Hopefully they're not too high and they find them and use them. Their sleeping roost bars are at 24" and 4ft and they seem to use them pretty well at those heights. The slanted lid opens up for easy cleaning. I added the curtains for a little extra darkness and privacy. We have huge privacy bushes all the way around the area of the yard the chickens use and I'm just hoping they'll choose these boxes so I don't end up searching in the bushes for eggs every day.

I got some 5 gallon corn syrup buckets and cut the lids out. The lids snap on tight but i still wrapped them in duck tape. I have 3 like this, I have two made out of cat litter pails for my three smaller hens. The girls love them. I also bolted them on so i can take them out a wash if needed.

Our coop is in an old barn. We used scrap wood, scrap hinges, scrap fencing...anything laying around in the barn to make the chicken area. The chickens even dug up the arrow sign from their run, so we figured they should get to keep it :)

Back
Top Bottom