Showgirl Experts! HELP! (PICS)

"First off that is NOT A SHOWGIRL. maybe some kind of showgirl cross but definitely not a showgirl."

You are correct. It is NOT a SH****RL or a Sh****rl cross. Thanks for pointing that out
wink.png

What the little girl is, is
[[{(Naked Neck x Silkie) x Silkie} x Silkie] X {(Naked Neck x Silkie) x Silkie}]
(if you wanted to know, Carrie).

I wanted some regular feathered birds from that cross and not all silkie feathered ones.
The barred chick was a total accident from a fence-jumping Naked Neck Silkie cross hen.
smile.png

Lisa

Hello Lisa and All
I love all the chicks I hatch out from you and I like my barred ones the best. I have one with a red naked neck and one with blue. I also got a showgirl out of the hatch a black pullet with silkie feathers, blue skin and 5 toes. Thanks again for the great eggs, The girls are turning out to be my favorite chickens out in the run, Just the sweetest. Enjoy Dennis

I don't know what he/she is, but I WANT one!!! You know the phrase "so ugly she's cute"? Geez, how can something like that be so cute?
wink.png

Terri

Quote:
yes, i agree looks like a beautiful little girl ya got there!

dh, know's all about breeding them we breed and raise F11- F14 showgirls to the silkie standards and show them to help get them recognized and excepted as a new breed. we have also worked hard to add all 5 toe featherings and resesive white genes which we have accomplished in this years breeding program already. which is a first for sg's as far as i know let alone together in same birds.

no it's not a showgirl it looks to much like a turken and won't breed true for many, many generations(about 8 mabe a few more) but also it is a F3 x F3 so yes dipsy is right it is not a mixed breed either. it's what showgirl breeders call a wannabe not a true showgirl or simply put a NN.
wink.png

it is a cute little throwback that was ment to be that way(nothing wrong with that), if i understood dipsy's reply right. it is a F3 x F3(i asume mom and dad where both NN's and turken gene is yet to strong, if not it is cause they r lower generations also so not breeding true) which= turken genes thrown back to reverse the silkie genes. only thing i see on her looks showgirl is black NN, black skinned and i assume she has 5 toes on each foot. there is nothing wrong with reverse gene breeding to get smooth feathers ect. just not something ya see alot is all. i myself have thought about doing it just to get some bantam turkens again since they r so hard to find now a days and i have sold all mine off now and wished i hadn't. but it would take years of back breeding and alot of work to undo all that has been bred into mine and many reverse generation breedings. u all have an advantage there u have fewer generations to undo and could do it in a short time if done right very easily which i think is neat.

i raise very few wannabe's too and nothing wrong with it, they r still gorgous little cuties.
tongue.png
@ dh mike,lol. they do breed true and r F12-F13 so yes technically they r showgirls but they r not standard colors or breed true color as they r calicos. there for they will not be shown or sold as a true showgirl and i don't hide they r not standard colors. they were an accidental breeding trying to remove smutt out of buff but none the less still lovely to have. their babies can be splash, calico or buff and anything in between to me it's not standard color that breeds true so they r a wannabe also.

i believe mike ment if they do not breed true to breed or color, then people should not be misslead to thinking they are purebreed showgirls.
just MHO's,
silkie

I know true silkies will throw regular feathered birds every once in awhile. I've had it happen before. It's kind of like how normal feathered birds can throw a silkie. Cute bird though! I love the odd ones.

Thanks for phrasing your reply as you did, therealsilkiechick; sometimes when I read posts on here and see responses that are so strongly worded, it makes me uncomfortable.

We all love our birds, REGARDLESS of whether they are considered purebreds or not. She's a beautiful girl, no matter what breed she is. Enjoy her, and I'm glad it's a HER for you!
big_smile.png

I think a lot of times it's difficult to convey true emotion behind the words on a computer screen. I've seen too many cases where things get taken out of context just because everybody has their own way of interpreting things. It's definitely easier to talk over the phone! I have a lot less misunderstandings that way! LOL

You did a wonderful job explaining all that though, TheRealSilkieChick. Genetics is something I am not too familiar with.

True, Irk...I probably shouldn't have said anything. Sorry if I offended; it wasn't intentional if so.
smile.png

Haha, no offense taken at all! I know exactly what you mean! I've just had too many problems dealing with people via E-mail. It's so easy to type something and not really mean it, or have others take it the wrong way. I do think some people are a bit too "strong" in their replies. Oh well, you'll get those in every bunch!

Back
Top Bottom