Showgirl Genetics: How do they work?

ldrchickens

Songster
Jul 1, 2018
Oklahoma
My Coop
My Coop
Can anybody explain to me or point to a thread talking about how showgirl genetics work? I have a black sizzle showgirl roo and no showgirl hens to breed him too. Im wanting to know what are the chances of getting showgirl babies and if the odds go up depending on what he is bred to? I have a polish top hat hen, a white silkie hen, and a sizzle silkie hen. Thanks!

If you breed him to either silkie hen you increase your chances of producing showgirls.
Depending on whether he is homozygous or heterozygous for naked neck, his offspring will either be 100% nn or 50% nn.
I'll assume he's 50% for the purpose of discussion.
If bred to silkies, 50% of offspring will be showgirls.
If bred to the white silkie, all offspring will be white with black flecks. 50% will be regular silkie and 50% will be sizzle.
If bred to the sizzle, 25% will be silkie feathered, 50% will be sizzle feathered and 25% will be silkie and frazzle (2 copies of frizzle gene) which lord only knows what that will look like.
TBH I wouldn't breed him to the sizzle for that reason alone.

Last edited:
As far as the necked neck part there's single NN gene birds that are often referred to as having a "bow tie" or a patch of feathers on lower neck area. When bred to anything that isn't a NN it would produce about 50% NN and 50% non NN.
A double NN gene bird is completely non feathered neck. When they're bred to any non NN bird they produce 100% NN offspring.
As far as the show girl part IMO a showgirl is a NN silkie without any other genes so no frizzle, frazzle, sizzle, sazzle, dazzle or non silkied feathers.
IMO the only way to breed showgirls is to breed showgirls to showgirls or showgirls to silkies.

As far as the necked neck part there's single NN gene birds that are often referred to as having a "bow tie" or a patch of feathers on lower neck area. When bred to anything that isn't a NN it would produce about 50% NN and 50% non NN.
A double NN gene bird is completely non feathered neck. When they're bred to any non NN bird they produce 100% NN offspring.
As far as the show girl part IMO a showgirl is a NN silkie without any other genes so no frizzle, frazzle, sizzle, sazzle, dazzle or non silkied feathers.
IMO the only way to breed showgirls is to breed showgirls to showgirls or showgirls to silkies.
Exactly as I thought.
The OP can, theoretically, still produce regular showgirls by breeding her showgirl roo over her normal silkie hen. 50% will be normal showgirl. FYI, according to the ABA, frizzled is allowed in any breed as frizzle is nothing more than a feather mutation. Same goes for silkie genetics.
In this case, the OP cannot produce any showgirls that are acceptable to the SOP by any means as her roo does not meet criteria. The ABA only accepts showgirls under the silkie breed as the listing of Silkie Naked Neck White. So black is not a recognized color.

If you breed him to either silkie hen you increase your chances of producing showgirls.
Depending on whether he is homozygous or heterozygous for naked neck, his offspring will either be 100% nn or 50% nn.
I'll assume he's 50% for the purpose of discussion.
If bred to silkies, 50% of offspring will be showgirls.
If bred to the white silkie, all offspring will be white with black flecks. 75% will be regular silkie and 25% will be sizzle.
If bred to the sizzle, 25% will be silkie feathered, 50% will be sizzle feathered and 25% will be silkie and frazzle (2 copies of frizzle gene) which lord only knows what that will look like.
TBH I wouldn't breed him to the sizzle for that reason alone.
I so wish I understood more about genetics and breeding.

Exactly as I thought.
The OP can, theoretically, still produce regular showgirls by breeding her showgirl roo over her normal silkie hen. 50% will be normal showgirl. FYI, according to the ABA, frizzled is allowed in any breed as frizzle is nothing more than a feather mutation. Same goes for silkie genetics.
In this case, the OP cannot produce any showgirls that are acceptable to the SOP by any means as her roo does not meet criteria. The ABA only accepts showgirls under the silkie breed as the listing of Silkie Naked Neck White. So black is not a recognized color.
For me as soon as I saw black "sizzle" showgirl rooster I have no idea what would really be produced because sizzle means different things to different people.
I see a lot of frizzle feathered ones called sizzles so I'm not sure if OPs bird is even silkied.
I haven't keep up with the ABA for over 10 years probably. Funny when I first got into ABA way back in the day the only frizzled breed was the cochin bantams.

For me as soon as I saw black "sizzle" showgirl rooster I have no idea what would really be produced because sizzle means different things to different people.
I see a lot of frizzle feathered ones called sizzles so I'm not sure if OPs bird is even silkied.
I haven't keep up with the ABA for over 10 years probably. Funny when I first got into ABA way back in the day the only frizzled breed was the cochin bantams.
From what i understand from the person i got him from is that his parents are a showgirl (silkie naked neck) crossed with a sizzle (frizzled silkie).

Back
Top Bottom