Showgirl thread- for posting pictures and discussing breed!

Well, I did it! I finally got my first Show Girls! I picked them up on Saturday from a guy who said they're all white, but the one looks a little buff to me. Or is it normal to have a slight varience in color like that? I'll post 2 pics so you can't say it's just the lighting. It's in the middle in the first pic and on the far left in the other pic. What are your opinions?? I've heard you can only get white from breeding white to white, and I think that's all he had were whites. So IDK where this 'colored' one came from...??

And they're straight runs, so I'm hoping for at least 1 of each sex. I'd like to breed them to each other as well as my kindergardener's silkies; splash & black. (see pics in above post)

I have had other white breeds hatch with some more yellow than others, it almost seems like they are stained from the gunk in the egg. The yellow fades after a couple weeks, hope that is all it is. Cute babies! I had horrible luck last week with my hatch, eggs were pretty beat up from shipping plus only 1 developed at all. So I have some more in the bator due June 7. I can see development in almost all of these! Hope I can be so lucky to get three! Crossing fingers. For now I will have to surf on here for cute SG chickie pics to get me through the wait :p

I haven't posted in ages, but this years SG hatching has been a bit problematic. the chicks seem to be more fragile and grow slooowly. I put everyone on vits in the water and pheasant feed for some higher protein but they still seem more fragile.

I have been educating people locally about the breed, and have some converts. I also got ahold of a blue sizzle showgirl roo . His wattles are VERY red, and he is quite startling to look at, but could get some interesting genes in the mix.

I also have a VERY orange partridge boy that keeps getting out of the coop and trying to fertilize everything in site!

So, breeding is going slow this year, but I'm hoping to get enough of my hens laying all at one time to get a few batches of chicks to grow out. Of course, having one at a time go broody every 2 weeks does not help this....

I am new at the SG,I just hatched out 8 of them,4 under a broody and 4 in my bator.They are now all under the broody as she will take good care of them and they will be in an established flock and I wont have to put them in later on.I have white,partridge and blue.My question is I live in northern Miane how do they deal with the cold?I have silkies and I provide a heat lamp when it gets really cold

They are a bit more cold hearty then silkies because of their turken blood. But I'm sure everyone appreciates a heat lamp anyway!

Last edited:
I've never had problems with the cold with my silkies and showgirls here in Ohio, but the heat is another matter altogether. Lotsa fans, misters and frozen water bottles in use around here in the summer!

My little showgirls
[/IMG]

Some pictures of some of our showgirl chicks :)

On the left are two splash :)

A Blue and a Splash enjoying some outside time :)

I have had 5 batches of SG eggs from 3 breeders this year and only hatched 2 silkies. Out of 59 eggs. Grrr. I got another batch a few weeks ago from another source, and to my complete disbelief every single shipped egg is developing and moving around! From North Carolina to Utah! So I hope I can post some cute pics in a week or so, cross fingers for me, pretty please?

Woo we will send you nn gene thoughts for lots of little show chicks running around!
I have had 5 batches of SG eggs from 3 breeders this year and only hatched 2 silkies. Out of 59 eggs. Grrr. I got another batch a few weeks ago from another source, and to my complete disbelief every single shipped egg is developing and moving around! From North Carolina to Utah! So I hope I can post some cute pics in a week or so, cross fingers for me, pretty please?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom