Showgirl thread- for posting pictures and discussing breed!

with 2 bowties you will get 25 clean 50 bowtie 25 all feathered.
Well he just had his first group of offspring hatch. Out of 10 eggs she sat on, 5 didn't make it, 1 has no bowtie, 4 have small bowties and 1 is fully feathered. I am shocked i got a completely naked neck out of a bunch of bowtie birds.

More hatching :D

This one thinks it has found a nice pillow on my black SG's head...haha :D

Li'l white one <3 This one came from my frizzled white hen "Snap". Hoping it gets her curly gene!

What I do is keep a mixed flock and when I want to produce pure babys I pick out the breeders and pen them up and hatch out those eggs. Just keep switching out the different breeds throught out the year. You should get some pure silkies and pair them up with your different SG's. just breed each new generation back to the pure silkies and you will have a nice SG project. Maybe get a Frizzled Sizzle and breed it to that NN Sizzle (flat feathered silkie)you have. You need to select for more FM in future breeding because they are a little pink.
Well good news. My other showgirl just went broody so i gave her some of the silkie's eggs to see if we can get some darker babies with better toes.

Hi all
Right I am having trouble understanding the whole genetics for this thing could someone break it down for me, I get the whole Turken x silkie creates ( all be it poor) a first generation SG that probably will look more like a Turken. Everything from there on in becomes confusing, what is NN and Nn and how do you know which is which??????

I believe NN is a dominant trait that will present itself in a chicken who carries it. If they are fully feathered, they do not carry the NN gene. It will not pop back up as a recessive trait downt he line...NN Nn, nn, all the same lol. Correct me if I am wrong! I am still working all this out in my own breeding program.

NN with no bowtie bred to silkie, gets you a bowtie---NN with bowtie bred to Silkie gets you 1/2 silkie, 1/2 bowties (I seem to get more like 3/4 silkie lol) and then someone posted a bit back about how it works with NN x NN, with or without bowties, how that works, I am not sure on that. I have never used non bowtied birds in my breeding program they are all bearded and bowtied or silkies/frizzled silkies. I have never gotten no bowties in that mix because I always use a silkie male over the NN hens w bowties.

Back
Top Bottom