showing silkie for 4 H?

joe17

Songster
11 Years
Nov 25, 2009
Louisiana
I plan on showing my silkies for 4 H and I was wondering do they really judge the bird according to the standards? I know that the judges dont need to be licensed by the APA to judge but I was curious about how the 4 H shows really work. I show pigs for 4 H but never have shown chickens.

It varies from show to show. I judge a lot of fairs/4H shows. I always ask the show superintendant how they want me to judge. Some want me to judge only based on the care the bird has received as evidenced by it's condition. Others want me to judge according to the Standard in other than production classes.

chances are they are going to be judged by how close they are to production (laying) and their overall body condition (care they received) If they were using a APA judge, it would go by the standard.

That brings up a question maybe someone can answer. My boys showed Silkies last year and the judge mentioned on one of the judging cards that the Silkie had sunburned feathers. Is that possible?

My Daughter recently showed in our county. Here, the judge was licensed and judged on standards plus care. As it was explained to us after the judging, he looks for the fancy chicken that most closely resembles those in the book plus standards in build, feathering, toes, breast, etc. If he has to entries that are close, he picks the one that displays the most care in raising.

Our daughter's first year, we have alot to learn but the best place for information is right here! We learned more about our breeds and the standards right in Backyard chicken. (Thanks everyone-because of the wonderful information we learned her, she took champion with her japs and reserve champion with her silkies)

Quote:
Yes, they can become sun-bleached if they are out in the sun too much. It is very noticeable on white birds. They will get yellowy feathers and usually just the ones on the surface. I've seen my Silkies get them.

At my county fair I was quite surprised at how serious and competitive it was. The way our judging goes is in pens of three: Three Pullets, Three hens, or Three Fancies (1 male, 2 females). These three classes for bantam and standard. Here you want to focus on uniformity between the birds and as close to the SOP as possible.

Quote:
Yes, they can become sun-bleached if they are out in the sun too much. It is very noticeable on white birds. They will get yellowy feathers and usually just the ones on the surface. I've seen my Silkies get them.

At my county fair I was quite surprised at how serious and competitive it was. The way our judging goes is in pens of three: Three Pullets, Three hens, or Three Fancies (1 male, 2 females). These three classes for bantam and standard. Here you want to focus on uniformity between the birds and as close to the SOP as possible.

This particular bird was a blue Silkie and there was no white on the feathers so I couldn't figure out what the judge was talking about. She recieved a blue ribbon.
20124_seramas_006.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
oK, thanks. Now I know so they can be moved a bit before show time and maybe that won't happen.

No, the birds cannot be exposed to any significant amount of sun fromthe time the feathers come in. Sun burn cannot be removed or cleaned off the feathers. Only replacement feathers will remove the sunburn.

Back
Top Bottom