shredded paper in coop or run

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by coopersmom, Dec 7, 2011.

1. coopersmom

coopersmom New Egg

Dec 3, 2011
    Can you use shredded paper in your run to dry things up or in your coop as some bedding like put that down first the the pine shavings on top?? I am new to raising chickens so not sure if this would be ok to do.

2. GoldenSparrow

GoldenSparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    yea we tryed putting news paper in the coop/run. it dident work for us. way to messy, it landed all over our yard.

3. Azriel

Azriel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Montana
    I get shredded paper free at work, so I put it inside my coop. I put a good layer of paper down, then lots of shavings on top of it, then a little straw on top of that as straw is free also from my grain. The chickens love digging through the straw looking for left over grain. I throw down a bit of bread or whole grain every day so the chickens keep it fluffed and mixed. I just have dirt and put down a bit of straw in the run for the winter, in the summer mine free range so I leave the run natural dirt.

4. Buff Oreo

Buff Oreo Out Of The Brooder

Dec 5, 2011
    Iowa
    Quote:paper is a good idea in theory, but i have to agree ^ it would get everywhere.

5. claudicles

claudicles Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2011
    Sydney, Australia
    I have it under my roosts and it does not seem to get everywhere. I would not use it to absorb water though. It compacts down too much. I get it free as well so by the time it is mixed in with lots of chook poop it makes a great free addition to my compost.

6. kristamarie

kristamarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2011
    I put all of our junk mail in the shredder and fill the nest boxes only with it. The rest of the coop has sand- much easier to clean. My one hen insists on sleeping (and pooping) in a nest box so the paper clumps and sticks to the poop and is easy enough to yank out and replace.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by