Shrink wrapped chicks

Qualien

Songster
May 9, 2018
I'm hatching button quail. So far three have hatched, and one is shrink wrapped still in the egg. My incubator is fairly difficult to keep the humidity regulated. Two of my hatched chicks hatched on their own, but one I assisted in hatching because it was shrink wrapped. I'm following the assisted hatching article on BYC, and the fourth chick that is currently hatching is also shrink wrapped. I'm waiting for the veins, and yolk to absorb. I'm not sure about my other 8 eggs in the Bator. Should I attempt to assist them following the article on here (not sure how to link the article). What is the chance that all or most of them are shrink wrapped, and not able to hatch on their own?

I'm hatching button quail. So far three have hatched, and one is shrink wrapped still in the egg. My incubator is fairly difficult to keep the humidity regulated. Two of my hatched chicks hatched on their own, but one I assisted in hatching because it was shrink wrapped. I'm following the assisted hatching article on BYC, and the fourth chick that is currently hatching is also shrink wrapped. I'm waiting for the veins, and yolk to absorb. I'm not sure about my other 8 eggs in the Bator. Should I attempt to assist them following the article on here (not sure how to link the article). What is the chance that all or most of them are shrink wrapped, and not able to hatch on their own?
They will probably all be shrink wrapped unfortunately. What has the RH been through incubation and what is it now? More surface area is the key to higher humidity. Try to get a big oan or something and fill it with warm water. You can also put in sponges and mist the eggs to help increase humidity. If your other eggs are not externally pipped all you can do is maybe make a safety hole, though that may cause them to dry out faster. Try to get the humidity higher asap. You can run coconut oil on the membranes with a q-tip to soften them a bit.

Thank you. I added safety holes around 11:00 this morning. The humidity has been up and down the entire incubation. For my incubator I have to add water about every 30-90 min. It sucks. I noticed a few times it got down into the 20 % range and a few times it got too high. It's been horribly frustrating trying to regulate it, but most of the time I'm on top of it. My incubator sucks. This morning it was around 40 %, and I quickly upped it to 60%. I was just wondering if I should open the rest of the eggs to the air cell, and moisten so they don't die.

Thank you. I added safety holes around 11:00 this morning. The humidity has been up and down the entire incubation. For my incubator I have to add water about every 30-90 min. It sucks. I noticed a few times it got down into the 20 % range and a few times it got too high. It's been horribly frustrating trying to regulate it, but most of the time I'm on top of it. My incubator sucks. This morning it was around 40 %, and I quickly upped it to 60%. I was just wondering if I should open the rest of the eggs to the air cell, and moisten so they don't die.
What incubator do you have? Can you try to put in some sort of tray of water like a cookie sheet or something along those lines? I'm sorry you're having so much trouble. I'm not there, so it's hard to help with some of these things, but I wouldn't open any up yet. I think even if you moistened the membrane the chicks would dry out faster than in the eggs.

What incubator do you have? Can you try to put in some sort of tray of water like a cookie sheet or something along those lines? I'm sorry you're having so much trouble. I'm not there, so it's hard to help with some of these things, but I wouldn't open any up yet. I think even if you moistened the membrane the chicks would dry out faster than in the eggs.
Okay. Thank you. I'll try that. I have a janoel 12 incubator right now I've been using an eye dropper, and dropping water into the bottom tray, but it fluctuates rapidly. My fourth chick just finished absorbing it's fluids. I peeled off the membrane, and it's currently healthy and drying off in the incubator. 😁 I'm happy I've got four seeing as my poor little eggs have had such a rough time. The postal lady threw the box before I even got them home, then the trouble with the incubator. 😓 Hopefully the rest of the eggs will be just as lucky.

Did you put water on the bottom of the incubator? That's the same one I have. I wrap mine in a blanket, leave the air hole open, and pour in a bunch of water in the bottom. Don't do the measurement thing, just pour in a bunch. You can change it again later if you have to, but at least get the humidity up for now. The PO people are so frustrating. Those 4 are miracle babies! :love

Back
Top Bottom