Shrink wrapped ducklings?

They started to break the shell and I noticed that the membrane wasn't attached to the shell. It was also white and papery. I've been spraying them, but they started peeping like they were struggling and in pain. I gently moved away some of the shell and old membrane and they did a little better. I'm still worried because I noticed that they are premature and one has it's eyes open (and most likely imprinted) and whenever I leave starts peeping like mad which makes me feel bad. The yolk is still there and I'm leaving them alone for tonight (other than spraying when they look dry.) I'll probably be up all night checking on them and fretting.

Some of my eggs had this issue, but I thought it was something I did, but I guess not. But all of them where to term just haveing issues getting out. My dad interviened and got them out because they where deff starting to dry out and he dont like when they get to that point. So he will crack the shell around the big end in a circle and they, for the most part, where able to get out from there but one needed the circle to be pulled off, which here to find out that one had a curled foot, which i corrected and now is healthy :) Hope the best for you, I know the uneasy feeling.

Every goose this week, and every turkey, and all but two pheasents were shrink wrapped over the Easter hatch. Very tense. I just had to remove the shell on the big end of my eggs, I then misted the paper white shrink wrap, and felt with my finger until I found the beak. I made very small holes there, being very careful not to cut blood vessels still absorbing. I got every beak out (just barely), dampened again, and into the 84% humidity still area hatcher. There they will stay until I'm confident they've absorbed all the yolk. I didn't make holes big enough to escape though. Like I said, ya gotta go slow and avoid all bleeding.

Best of luck with your duckies.
frow.gif

Every goose this week, and every turkey, and all but two pheasents were shrink wrapped over the Easter hatch. Very tense. I just had to remove the shell on the big end of my eggs, I then misted the paper white shrink wrap, and felt with my finger until I found the beak. I made very small holes there, being very careful not to cut blood vessels still absorbing. I got every beak out (just barely), dampened again, and into the 84% humidity still area hatcher. There they will stay until I'm confident they've absorbed all the yolk. I didn't make holes big enough to escape though. Like I said, ya gotta go slow and avoid all bleeding.

frow.gif
I just hate that for you. I don't know what's going on with us this week!

frow.gif

Pretty much what my dad did, i deff agree with the tense part.

One of the ducklings feet is curled and they can't walk. I'll try to take pictures tomorrow. Does anyone have any idea how I can fix this?

One of the ducklings feet is curled and they can't walk. I'll try to take pictures tomorrow. Does anyone have any idea how I can fix this?

This has happend alot with the wild geese, you can take a sturdy piece of plastic and cut it to the size of the foot, and use gauze to cover the sharp edges and then medical tape to fasten it on, Hope that helps :p

Back
Top Bottom