Shrink wrapped ducklings?

The second duckling died :( Now the poor baby is alone. His/her walking is getting better and is bright and cheery. I'm gonna put a stuffed animal in the brooder and will definitely add vinegar to the water. Thanks for the support everyone, it's really helped.
hugs.gif

Yes, but it is contengent on the nutriotioin of the mother duck. If she was niacin def. she could not pass any on to the egg yollk, which is the food and life support system of the embryo. He can only get what she gave him.

This is why most people (self included - I have a duck egg business) are diligent about nutrition. I let them have purchased suplimented foods, plus also kitchen scraps and free range time - since insects are excellent sources of trace nutrients - and snales an excellent form of shell calcium.

I'm awefully sorry about your babies.
hugs.gif

Until recently I was a sworn hands off hatcher, but it doesn't work with shipped eggs. I've had the most terrable shrink wrap. I talked to one of my biology professors, and in her opinion, shipped eggs that go in flight suffer from hairline cracks and miniscule cracks to their shells. This can result in uneven moisture loss, and open the door for stiffened dessicated membrane. Now, I'm not sure thats the answer yet, but I can tell you that all my duck eggs that I gave my kids school to hatch came out w/o any help, and no shrink wrap. I'm a full service hatcher every week now, while I'm hatching rare breeds from shipped eggs.

Yes, but it is contengent on the nutriotioin of the mother duck. If she was niacin def. she could not pass any on to the egg yollk, which is the food and life support system of the embryo. He can only get what she gave him.

This is why most people (self included - I have a duck egg business) are diligent about nutrition. I let them have purchased suplimented foods, plus also kitchen scraps and free range time - since insects are excellent sources of trace nutrients - and snales an excellent form of shell calcium.

I'm awefully sorry about your babies.
hugs.gif

Until recently I was a sworn hands off hatcher, but it doesn't work with shipped eggs. I've had the most terrable shrink wrap. I talked to one of my biology professors, and in her opinion, shipped eggs that go in flight suffer from hairline cracks and miniscule cracks to their shells. This can result in uneven moisture loss, and open the door for stiffened dessicated membrane. Now, I'm not sure thats the answer yet, but I can tell you that all my duck eggs that I gave my kids school to hatch came out w/o any help, and no shrink wrap. I'm a full service hatcher every week now, while I'm hatching rare breeds from shipped eggs.

goodpost.gif

My girls get lots of treats, but tend not to eat it. The last duckling has lots of vigor, but the leg is messed up. I bought a small bag of feed from the feed store and Durvet vitamins and electrolytes for all animals. The duckling drinks, but doesn't eat yet. I know that he/she may still be digesting the yolk, but I hope that he/she will eat soon. I'll try to post pictures of the leg ASAP.

Back
Top Bottom