Shrink wrapped under mama chicken?

Feathered Friend 252

In the Brooder
May 3, 2023
Hi Ya’ll, I have 4 swedish/peking mix duck eggs that three have externally pipped and the last one is expected to pip any day now. They have all been and still are sitting under my broody orpington. The first three are on 35+ hours after external pip. I have read here that they can take up to 60 hours to zip after external pip. My question is, am I harming or causing shrink wrap to happen when I go out to check on their status or is that only a concern for incubators? Also mama hen hasn’t been down to drink/eat in about 4 days. Her record was 6 when she first started. I dont want to lift her off the nest at this critical time. Advice?

Have owned ducks but never hatched them but I think it’s because humidity. Wait like 12-48 hours and candle between that time to see if you can assist. Do you think there is any yolk left?

Last edited:
Leave mama duck to it. She knows best. Don't lift her off or interfere. You can hold a cup of water in front of her face for her to drink, and you can place a small dish of food in front of her after that for sustenance. But she needs to sit tight on that nest creating the perfect temperature and humidity for hatch. Shrink wrapping is unlikely, and if any don't hatch then they werent strong enough to do so, were deformed or malpositioned so it's probably for the best. Nature has sense.

Leave mama duck to it. She knows best. Don't lift her off or interfere. You can hold a cup of water in front of her face for her to drink, and you can place a small dish of food in front of her after that for sustenance. But she needs to sit tight on that nest creating the perfect temperature and humidity for hatch. Shrink wrapping is unlikely, and if any don't hatch then they werent strong enough to do so, were deformed or malpositioned so it's probably for the best. Nature has sense.
Yeah listen to him 100%

Its a chicken that is brooding over them. Does that make a difference? Im worried she might smother them. Its her first time hatching eggs (and mine!). Thank you for replying!!!😍

Lol, no it's no different. I've had many successful broody chickens hatching duck eggs. Don't interfere! (hard not to, I know).

She won't smother them. She will feel them hatching and sit tight keeping that humidity just perfect.

The only difference I found, besides the incubation length, is that she will freak out when they start jumping into the water bowl to swim instead of just drinking from it 😂.

Feed her lots of protein to make up for the weight she is losing during the extra sitting time.

Lol, no it's no different. I've had many successful broody chickens hatching duck eggs. Don't interfere! (hard not to, I know).

She won't smother them. She will feel them hatching and sit tight keeping that humidity just perfect.

The only difference I found, besides the incubation length, is that she will freak out when they start jumping into the water bowl to swim instead of just drinking from it 😂.

Feed her lots of protein to make up for the weight she is losing during the extra sitting time.
Once they hatch, two have hatched so far and they both look strong & healthy so far. Two more to go. Once they all hatch should I move them to their private space or should I move them now with two left to go?

Back
Top Bottom