Shrink-wrapped?

You can't always tell without investigating (which means opening the 'bator, which could cause other chicks to shrink wrap). Sometimes, if they pip and then do nothing for an extraordinarily long time (like 12-24 hours), that can be a sign that they're stuck to the membrane. I don't know of a way of telling for sure without opening the shell up a little to see.

Well, I went ahead and helped this one out of his egg. He looks in pretty bad shape. Still laying on his side balled up with his eyes closed. He's chirping and kicking, though, so we'll see. Once I cracked a little more shell, it was clear that he was in there pretty tight. I think that it probably was shrinked wrapped. I've not seen a healthy one so I can't tell. I do have a bunch more eggs that are supposed to hatch today but I suspect that I did a really poor job on humidity control. The rest of them aren't even pipped yet. Is there anything I can do at this point to help? Would running warm water over the other eggs help now?

I would definitely not run warm water over the eggs.

I would just get the humidity where you want it and keep the incubator closed.

If you're having a hard time with the water troughs, you might try a wet rag or sponge inside to get the humidity up.

The troughs are full. I don't have a humidity guage. I guess I didn't realize until yesterday that it was so critical to keep it so carefully regulated.

Well, it sounds like you are at the beginning of your hatch. I would just leave it alone and try to think about something else. I know it's horribly difficult, but that's all i would do at this point.

Back
Top Bottom