Shrink wrapping and wet chicks

Proud E Z

In the Brooder
Apr 2, 2021
Ok. So I have been having a struggle after the first 3 chicks hatched. I have 6 others with pips but they are starting to get shrink wrapped. I have some other late guys but am not worried as they'll eventually pip or they won't. It's at 70% and they're still struggling to stay moist. I've added a crap ton of soaked paper towels and am at a loss. I saw something about wrapping the chicks in a moist paper towel and am trying that - is that ok? Also, if needed how would I assist the chick? I don't want to break the blood vessels.

On the other hand the 3 chicks won't dry. Their not soaking but they look all sticky, not fluffy. It's going on 9hrs for the first one and he's still looking like that.

Any advice helps, please help. Thank you!

Was the hatching on time, early or late?
Is there condensation in the incubator?
Are you constantly opening the incubator to add the paper towels?

Sticky chicks are due to (in order of probability) - low incubator temperature, high incubator humidity, improper turning, old eggs and very large eggs.

Was the hatching on time, early or late?
Is there condensation in the incubator?
Are you constantly opening the incubator to add the paper towels?

Sticky chicks are due to (in order of probability) - low incubator temperature, high incubator humidity, improper turning, old eggs and very large eggs.
Today is day 21. And the chicks hatched early this morning. So on time. There is, but I think the condensation might be from the humidifier I put in my room to aid with the humidity? I'm not sure if that would actually help, but I thought I'd try that. And yes, I am opening it fairly frequently to add paper towels or wrap a chick in a wet paper towel.

As far as I know the chicks had a fairly consistent temp of 99.5 and I added water every morning to the troughs. It's a still air incubator and I had the two little plugs undone the entire time since the holes for air are so tiny and there are only 8. I was lucky to borrow an incubator with a automatic turner that slowly shifted them side to side in a tray with egg holders. The eggs were within 3 days I believe, and there are a few quite large ones.

Are the paper towels around the chicks ok? And the humidifier in my room? The hatched chicks stay in there u til fluffy 12-48hrs correct? And what should the memberane look like if it moist enough? Thank you for responding - I really appreciate it!!!😊

Back
Top Bottom