Shrubs near run

RebelEgger

Free Ranging
May 10, 2020
Chester, Nova Scotia
My Coop
My Coop
Hey guys, we are building our run this weekend. I was thinking of planting some spirea shrubs along the backside of it, probably about 3-4 feet away from the actual run. I just wanted it as a hedge to block the view of the run in case our neighbors let their dog run back over in our yard which they have frequently done in the past (he's a great dog -they are the idiots- but he had been coming up on our deck and peeing to mark his territory there - OUR dogs don't even do that!)
So my question is, is this a good idea or would that just be a potential place for mice and rats or predators to lurk?

The dog will know the chickens are there by smell. You might have better luck investing in some electric fencing (if allowed) so dog gets 1 Good shock and decides to head off in a different direction/different neighbor in the future.

if you are not allowed to use electric fence, you can certainly catch their dog and take him to animal control, so the neighbors have to pay a fine to get him back. Often just that Mild inconvenience will cause them to reconsider allowing him to roam.

If you do neither of the above, you will need to make sure he (or any other dog) can’t dig in, or jump into the run - some dogs can climb fences to a certain extent too, just depends on the dog. He will, of course, be interested in the chickens and may decide to mark that as his territory too.

good luck.

The shrubs won't deter that dog at all, and he may love chicken, so having a really safe coop and run are most important.
Electric fencing is your friend, if it's legal where you live. See @Howard E , @cmom , and Premier1supplies.com.
I have shrubs and trees around my coop and run, for shade, and some protection for the chickens from hawks. Chickens were jungle animals, and this is a more natural environment for them anyway. They will root around, so protect young plants from their digging if they free range.
Mary

Thanks guys, I am going to look in to electric fencing, I'd hate to have to kill the neighbors. lol
It's unfortunate they let him run, he's such a nice and no credit to them for that, he's just inherently good... but he's not allowed to have my chickens!

What about enlarging your run and planting some bushes inside? My girls free-range during the day and their favorite location is underneath a sprawling hedge of native purple sage (cenizo). Keeps them cool and hidden when they want to be. A hedge somewhere for your chickens to easily take advantage of cover and cool temps would be an asset.

What about enlarging your run and planting some bushes inside? My girls free-range during the day and their favorite location is underneath a sprawling hedge of native purple sage (cenizo). Keeps them cool and hidden when they want to be. A hedge somewhere for your chickens to easily take advantage of cover and cool temps would be an asset.
The beauty is since the run isn't built yet, its a blank canvas, and I can absolutely give them a shrub or 2 as well :)
Life has become after all, about how to keep the chickens happy :)

It will be difficult to keep any plants alive in the run, but right outside along the fencing will be easier. I have stones, 2" to 4" diameter, around the tree and shrubs next to my coop, or the birds would have them all dug up long ago.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom