Shunned hen

Colormeblue

Chirping
Nov 4, 2020
I have 6 hens around 15 months old. Over the past month I've noticed one straying away from the others for the most part when let out of the run. This week she's been staying in a nesting box by herself. I tried putting her back on the roost with the others one time, but she was pecked at. Should I keep trying to put her on the roost or just leave her in the box?

I have 6 hens around 15 months old. Over the past month I've noticed one straying away from the others for the most part when let out of the run. This week she's been staying in a nesting box by herself. I tried putting her back on the roost with the others one time, but she was pecked at. Should I keep trying to put her on the roost or just leave her in the box?
I would block the nests an hour before roost time, then uncover after dark.
But how long is your roost and how high?
Dimensions and pics would help here.

They are of an age to be molting, if you live in the northern hemisphere, and sometimes they get uncomfortable with new pin feathers so don't want to join the RoostTimeRumble scrum.

She just stays in the nest at night. I've noticed now that her and another one have most of their neck feathers gone. I put another roost in but they won't go to it. Will try to get pics.

Back
Top Bottom