SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by crystal94040, Mar 12, 2008.

1. crystal94040

crystal94040 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2007
    ok my chickens squak every morning at about 7-9 while they are laying...it's usually only a minute or two each and thats it....well today they all layed and then while I was out there feeding them one starts up...now - 3 hours later she is still at it...she is just walking around...pecking at the ground here and there...then SQUAK SQUAK...grrr
    she doesn't seem to be in pain...just enjoying the sound of her own voice...starting to really annoy me.
    I'm a first time chicken owner and wondering if there is anything I'm missing...or is this just normal?

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    It is very normal. I love to hear mine making all sorts of noise. At times they can be very loud. It doesn't bother me at all.

3. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Chickens make noise even the hens!!....

4. Redfeathers

Redfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Gervais OR
    I love it when they talk. I take it to mean they are happy about life and want everyone to know.

5. crystal94040

Aug 15, 2007
    ok...as long as it's normal.
    I only worry eventually my neighbors will complain because I live in a residential neighborhood.
    but come to think of it I can just point out that their dog is far more annoying than my chickens lol

6. Redfeathers

Redfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Gervais OR
    If you are on good terms with your neighbors, they probably don't mind the noise. Or if you aren't you can offer some eggs and then they will love your hens just as much as you. [​IMG]

7. Red

Red Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2007
    We have one hen who really likes to brag about the egg she has just laid and will yell about it for hours. We usually shut her up by throwing her some grapes [​IMG]

Also we give our neighbours a few fresh eggs every now and again to keep them happy [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 12, 2008
  8. crystal94040

Aug 15, 2007
    my neighbors think I'm crazy for having chickens to begin with...the first question people always ask is "you EAT the eggs?" "is that safe?" [​IMG]

I'd offer them some but I'm pretty sure they would just toss them and say "omg she actually gave us eggs, what a nutcase" lol

9. Kaneke

Kaneke Chillin' With My Peeps

so make them some deviled eggs ... I don't know of anyone who turns THOSE down ! (they always disappear first, at potlucks)

10. banter

banter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Raymond Maine
    Crystal, I think hats too funny! At least You know what your chickens are eating!
    Our eggs are so good with orange yolks, not that pale watery yellow!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by