Sick 1 1/2 year old scissor rooster.

birdygal

Chirping
8 Years
Sep 12, 2011
I separated him since healthy roosters are attacking him. He looks like he is dying. His breasts has shrink. He just lays sickly puffed up. Could barely get in tree to roost. Does not seem to drink , but eats when I hand feed though acts like he does not have appetite. Clings to me when used to be feisty. We clip his beak and last time I got it rather short since we have had to clip it so often and he was so hard to catch. But Husband caught him easily today. Help.

Thanks for the concern all. With prayer and separating him, plus special dropper stuff, he is doing much better. As another poster said a few months back a predator may get him soon so I guess I should just be thankful for the time I got to have him. I do apoligize I have not had time to be on here and just posted a need again. I am just learning along with the rest of the un professionals on here and hope as I get further along I can be a lot more uplifting to everyone. Thank you for reading.

yippiechickie.gif
I just lost my scissorbeak "No Face" three days ago. She was 6 months old. Every old timer I came across told me she would not survive due to respiratory, eating, parasite, etc. Something would happen. I thought I defied the odds by 5 months. I was so proud after clipping her beak, feeding her, etc. She fell prey as an outcast to other chickens, became somewhat paranoid or standoffish from everthing and eveyone (my chix free rangs). I finally caught her one evening after watching where she hid (not with others). She was as light as a feather and starving to death more than likely. I caged her, tried to feed and water her but she would not take in anything. I made a nice nest, she settled into it , and she let me pet her, but she had a terrible smell from her breath of a rotting odor. She was never really able to close her beak all the way. I thought she had been sitting in horse or cow sh** or something. I made her a nice nest and she was quick to settle in it and rested for the evening. I checked in on her during the night, she was still alive. She was gone in the morning. Upon removing her body I was SHOCKED. Her back end was huge, the size of a tennis ball. I was horrified. She more than likely got some sort of parasite, especially with the scissorbeak mouth being open all the time and flies, moisture, etc that sit. Poor No Face held out to the end. I would love to see stats on the survival rate of such chix. Now I feel as though I should have done something when she was very young rather than keeping her. Not sure. Its a difficult call since I only raise the chickens for eggs and don't kill them to eat. I love them so. Good luck with you chix I hope it works out for you.

Back
Top Bottom