Sick 1 week old Polish Tophat

Mx236

Hatching
Aug 17, 2016
I have a little chick who is not doing well, This morning i found her on her back and cold, still alive I mixed some of her food with warm water and gave her a few eye droppers. Held her for a little while to warm her up again. Any other suggestions I should try? I moved her to her own box with her own heat-lamp. she still cant quite stand up and is not opening eyes. Let me know what i should try next.

Welcome to BYC.

Is she able to stand and walk?
Anything wrong with her leg?

It could be a vitamin deficiency or a developmental/neurological disorder.
Try to keep her hydrated, if you have them give some Sav-A-Chick electrolytes and vitamins. Once she is hydrated offer wet chick starter.

Keep her warm, but make sure since she is in a box she has room to get away from the heat if needed. Ideally just one warm spot in the "brooder" the rest can be cool

Let us know how she is doing.

He has gotten worse, I took him to the vet to run some fecals to make sure it's nothing dangerous for the rest of the flock, but I'm sure his end is soon. I'm still waiting for results. I'll let you know

He passed. Fecals came back normal. I think maybe he didn't absorb his yoke correctly because he died exactly 14 days old. I have heard that the common life expectancy a chick when this happens. Everyone else is safe and healthy so God bless that.

Back
Top Bottom