Sick 10 wk old EE

RoryBN

Hatching
Jun 12, 2016
My Easter egger pullet woke up this morning acting very sleepy, and her left eye is swollen shut. She keeps falling asleep on us and is crying as well. Please help! We gave her save a chick and some sugar water with little effect, and her two sisters seem perfectly fine.

Does she have any peck marks around her eye, eye or nasal drainage, or does she sneeze? I would open the eye and apply some saline to flush the eye. If there is crust or drainage, then you may want to apply some Terramycin eye ointment or plain Neosporin ointment to the eye twice a day.

Thank you for your responce! We took her to the vet and they checked for scratches and pus and found none. We got antibiotics and some eye drops and she seems to have perked up a lot after a dose. Shes back with her little flock now, because she was too depressed without them. Hopefully she will keep getting better !
Does she have any peck marks around her eye, eye or nasal drainage, or does she sneeze? I would open the eye and apply some saline to flush the eye. If there is crust or drainage, then you may want to apply some Terramycin eye ointment or plain Neosporin ointment to the eye twice a day.

Thank you for your responce! We took her to the vet and they checked for scratches and pus and found none. We got antibiotics and some eye drops and she seems to have perked up a lot after a dose. Shes back with her little flock now, because she was too depressed without them. Hopefully she will keep getting better ! [quote

Great job getting her to the vet! Did they happen to mention what illness they were treating her for? It would probably be a good idea to keep her seperated from the flock until she has completed treatment to help prevent others from becoming ill, just in case. I hope you continue to see improvement and that she has a speedy recovery.

Back
Top Bottom