Sick 3 mo old polish

DebiC215

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 7, 2017
Hondo, Texas
I just lost a buff orpington to wry neck? Three days later, one of my very active, small Polish is not her/his self. His neck seems a little off, not like the Orp.(limp and dragging), only slightly tilted but not sure if its normal with all his top feathers. His top feathers have the shafts covered in the hard white protective shells (like my parrots when they molt-?normal?) He is not eating and not drinking as much as usual. I have been putting him out in a run the last two days, (coop is not ready and storms require i bring in last night) with his two other buddies and small silkies (sep. from larger chickens) and he is not playing, jumping, or walking around. Just drinks a little and then lays down. I brought him back into the house and he just sits on my lap (also not normal -he does not like to be held). I gave him some bit E/Selenium by mouth and he ate a little of his food for me if I held it to his beak. He is not shivering, no drainage, did have two black poos (but not sure if this is his normal or not). From what I can see of his eye, they appear fine, closed when he is resting, which seems to be most of the time now. I have one reg water out for him, and one with chicken probiotics and save a chick. Is there anything else I can give him. he is still on non-med chick starter. any suggestion or comments appreciated. new chicken person here

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    617.1 KB · Views: 31
Could be the new head feathers growing in are tender. My polish become very uncomfortable during the molt because of it.

How old is he? Also check your feed tag to see the manufacturing date. Make sure it's not old, which could cause vitamin deficiencies.

Thank you so much for the response. They are almost 3 months old. Will check out the feed container too. I guess I need to do a lot of reading on molt. He did seem to like me rubbing his head. I know my parrots like me to work on the shafts of their new feathers. Its just he never wants me to hold him and now he just settles in - he even turned his butt to poop on the floor (and my yorkies head-LOL). I separated him from the others, its a smaller container and he just sits there. They are yelling for him/her but he does not seem to be bothered - just too quiet for normal.

Young chicks will go through multiple molts while they are growing, usually the last baby molt is between 5-7 months of age.

Polish are a higher maintenance breed. They do often need help getting those sheath off of their head feathers, so do help if it looks like it needs it. I personally trim my polish crest short a few times as they are molting and after the molt to help them see.

Be careful as other breeds can peck at the crests. Is it your only polish? I have a parrot too, a double yellow headed Amazon, what do you have?

I have three total polish, all the same age, some larger chickens and some silkies. And I have a Galah cockatoo, a caique (daughters), a green cheek conure, a crimson bellied conure, a pink bourke, and 5 lineolated parakeets (one newly hatched). My brother had a yellow headed amazon names Barnabee and he had a large vocabulary. Also, mini horses, mini donkey, 2 large horses, rescue cats and dogs. I don't think I have forgotten any - LOL. Oh and a husband, daughter and son-in-law who put up with me. So anything else the Polish are sensitive to. They have so many sheaths. Maybe a gentle brush or just scratches. Thank you for input. Its nice to find a friendly group.

I have three total polish, all the same age, some larger chickens and some silkies. And I have a Galah cockatoo, a caique (daughters), a green cheek conure, a crimson bellied conure, a pink bourke, and 5 lineolated parakeets (one newly hatched). My brother had a yellow headed amazon names Barnabee and he had a large vocabulary. Also, mini horses, mini donkey, 2 large horses, rescue cats and dogs. I don't think I have forgotten any - LOL. Oh and a husband, daughter and son-in-law who put up with me. So anything else the Polish are sensitive to. They have so many sheaths. Maybe a gentle brush or just scratches. Thank you for input. Its nice to find a friendly group.
You have quite a passel of critters too. One parrot mocking me is enough. You have a nice variety.

I usually roll the feather sheath between my fingers to see if they are ready to crack and come off. Than scratching them can work. I would keep a can of bluekote on hand in case you ever need to spray a pecked crest to disguise the skin and any blood if it occurs.

Polish are nutty little birds, prone to hysteria. Cutting the crest feathers can help in the laced varieties so they can see better. The white crested varieties I don't usually trim, they tend to be odd birds too. Both polish and silkies can get bullied by other breeds, especially in confinement so keep an eye out for that and be ready to step in.

I have them separated, just need a coop for the silkies/polish. My girl(I hope) polish is standing today she had a couple of black poops though - that means blood, right? I'll give her some more probiotic/save a chick water. I think I should keep her separated from the others for a few more days - they are calling for her - but she doesn't seem to care. I will work on feather sheaths when I finish all my chores this a.m. {I have the larger breed in one coop and pen day and night now. The polish two are in sep container at night and then in the run with the silkies during the day. Silkies are all together in their container and then I have 3 tiny frizzles in a container, still with the heat light. }

I'm not a poop expert, I believe all chick poops are half black to brown, and half white which is the urine part. @casportpony knows poop more, I don't know if she will pop in here to answer that part though.

Back
Top Bottom