Sick 6 week old chick... many symptoms

Hello, I'm taking care of a chick that is about 6-7 weeks old. He or she cannot walk, which indicates Merek's, yet he was hatched into an established flock with no new chickens introduced since he hatched. I have been hand feeding and watering him since he cant stand up, and yesterday I woke up to small worms all over his behind. I gave him a bath and removed the worms, and started including diatomaceous earth in his food. Other then pooping out a few, there hasn't been anymore worms. Ever since the worm blowout he has been very tired, but has a good appetite. I have been giving him electrolyte water as well as plain water. He also has a cross beak, so has been on mash, so he is getting lots of fluids. He has so many symptoms for different diseases, I have no idea what to do. His mash is a mixture of Cream of Wheat, ground vegetables, chick starter, DE, and water. He has runny to soft poop, however it is light brown/tan and has no urates that I can see. A lot of poop is stuck to his behind, but he cheeps loudly when I try to clean him, but his vent looks irritated. I have trimmed his feathers so the poop doesn't build up. Any ideas what is wrong with him?
Poor baby. He either could have maggots on his back side from all the poop build up or a case of fly strike. Has he been outside the entire length of his life?

Poor baby. He either could have maggots on his back side from all the poop build up or a case of fly strike. Has he been outside the entire length of his life?
Yes, pretty much. Only inside for short periods of time. His poop was building up on his backside, since the maggots I have kept the feathers trimmed and given him regular baths. I haven’t had a second case and it’s been almost two months so I’m hoping the poop building up was the problem.

Yes, pretty much. Only inside for short periods of time. His poop was building up on his backside, since the maggots I have kept the feathers trimmed and given him regular baths. I haven’t had a second case and it’s been almost two months so I’m hoping the poop building up was the problem.
Poop build up can also cause pasty butt which can be fatal. If cross beak is congenital, you may not want to let this chicken reproduce, but eggs should be fine if it turns out not to be a roo.

Another and probably last update on Flynney.
She laid her first egg today!! I can’t even express how proud I am of her. A couple of months ago she was barely alive, and I could have never imagined her living to lay an egg.
It’s a beautiful pinkish colored one. Large, too, almost as large as a store bought one we have! View attachment 2450139

This the first pic I have of her:
View attachment 2450142

And then to this...
View attachment 2450143

I can’t believe it.
You did a great job. Congratulations!🎈🎊🎉

Back
Top Bottom