Sick after cleaning coop?

I cleaned my coop one time years ago, I was sick for 3 days the 3rd day being the worst, I had stomach cramps and was shake-y and thought I was going to die. Finally I went to the doctor, and he asked if I had been bitten. I could not remember, then I remember 3 days before, I was in the yard and there were black ants flying around, and I thought one went into my pants and bit me on the butt. The doc looked at the bite mark and said it wasn't an ant bite, but a black widow bite marks. The coop had nothing to do with my illness.
Could be mold from the wet hay/straw or many other things.
DE is a terrible respiratory irritant when it's dry.
Are you minor?
And you already have lung/allergy issues?
Yeah probably. I used DE a couple days later with a dry mask, so none was inhaled. I'm 19 and I have had issues with constant post nasal drip and bad allergies for many years. Everything seemed to get worst after moving into this house and I've gotten ear/throat infections a few times

Update: Last night, trying to sleep was very scary and felt somewhat similar to day 1 of this. More symptoms are arising and today is awful. I can barely move at all and I'm so weak. The cramp/spasms are still happening. My entire body hurts. It hurts so bad to walk because all my joints hurt so badly when I move. When I get out of bed, I wheeze and gasp then can't catch my breath for minutes. My back is hurting really bad and tingling intensely+constantly and it is spreading slowly. Other parts of my body are having some occasional tingling. My ankles have burning(spicy like a pepper) sensations when I lay down. My lungs feel so full and heavy and I can hardly catch my breath. I'm shaking really bad from the waist up. I feel as if I aged 100 years overnight. My moms going to take me to urgent care since this has gotten way more serious so fast.

Update: Last night, trying to sleep was very scary and felt somewhat similar to day 1 of this. More symptoms are arising and today is awful. I can barely move at all and I'm so weak. The cramp/spasms are still happening. My entire body hurts. It hurts so bad to walk because all my joints hurt so badly when I move. When I get out of bed, I wheeze and gasp then can't catch my breath for minutes. My back is hurting really bad and tingling intensely+constantly and it is spreading slowly. Other parts of my body are having some occasional tingling. My ankles have burning(spicy like a pepper) sensations when I lay down. My lungs feel so full and heavy and I can hardly catch my breath. I'm shaking really bad from the waist up. I feel as if I aged 100 years overnight. My moms going to take me to urgent care since this has gotten way more serious so fast.
Oh no! Please keep us updated! I'll be praying for you, hope you're okay!

I wasn't sure if this was the right topic to post this in, but I have a concern. About a week ago, I was cleaning the coop. I scraped all the boards and decided to dig down and get all those layers of old hay out (ground was getting too high for the door). I went through 3 masks while cleaning because they kept getting too dirty and wet with sweat (it was really hot out). I often found myself needing to go out and gasp for air because stuff was still getting through the mask. It got in my eyes (and mouth too somehow).

That night, after a shower, I was laying in bed and noticed it suddenly became really hard to breathe. Felt like my lungs closed. My chest, neck and shoulders hurt so bad, which I know is normal for all that work, but I could barely breathe and my lungs+heart hurt SO bad. I kept coughing up loads of phlegm and wheezed all night, hardly getting any sleep. I felt like there was a lump in my throat and an air bubble in the middle of my chest and it kept making me unable to breathe. It was very scary for me because my lung pain and heart palpitations were so extreme. Haven't had insurance, so I couldn't go to the hospital. I thought I was going to die, honest to God. It was like this for about 3 days then finally started getting better.

About a week has passed and I notice some really strange things. I still feel the air bubble often and have to shake my head a few times to make it go away in order to breathe. I think all the phlegm is gone but it comes up occasionally. Some times when I cough the phlegm that randomly shows up, it tastes bloody. I've noticed now my whole body is aching and hurts all over. I keep getting uncomfortable and sometimes painful spasms in my legs. It doesn't matter if I'm sitting, standing, walking or laying, they just show up and come out of nowhere.

Is there any illnesses that you can get from cleaning coops that would cause this? I'm concerned that these symptoms still haven't gone away. I've taken meds every day for the pain but they don't seem to help. I also use vapor for my allergies but it doesn't seem to be helping either. My muscles seem to be getting weaker and hurt more by the day (the original muscle pain sites from the first 3 days have gotten better, but now the pain around my whole body is an equal ache, if that makes sense?) I'm only 19 and never have had serious health issues

edit: some things I forgot to add that is currently happening
-small headache all day
-no fever
-joint pain
-tingling in upper back
-fast heartbeat and heart pain
-problems with sleep positions (sleep on side= neck spasms | sleep on back = fast heartbeat with palpitations and hard to breathe)
-occasional pain when trying to breathe
-cramp/spasms randomly anywhere
They are very good at carrying bacteria with them and the bacteria is so small it’s probably salmonella like food poisoning or bacteria/ mold got into your lungs. If most of the symptoms are gone with a few lagging then probably “food poisoning” which I had and can get just working in the area where they are kept so wash your hands double frequently when cleaning or moving dirt around where they play or sleep 😊 hope this helps if when in doubt go get some antibiotics

No not Covid, and not to be dramatic but you could lose some function of your lungs if you don't go. I found what i was talking about Histoplasmosis
You are right on the money, there. Original poster must go for medical exam and testing. The wrong treatment or lack thereof can lead to sepsis, long term pulmonary problems such as scarring, fibrosis. Get a COVID swab, influenza swab, yes, but what if it is directly related to the coop?? A fungal infection of the lungs is one of the most difficult to treat. The air-bubble when laying down with palpitations needs an echocardiogram, ECG to look for pericarditis and pericardial effusion. Hope you feel better, kiddo

I swear the doctors here are so stupid and can never diagnose anything properly. It's always nothing. Well it doesn't feel like nothing. I am miserable right now and there's nothing wrong apparently. They're blaming it on a medication I've been on for a while. I've never had anything worst than a couple of heart palpitations on it. Wouldn't make any sense at all that all this would just start happening because the 'medicine' when I had all those issues during and after cleaning the coop. They know nothing! It just doesn't make any sense to me how everything can be fine. I'm not fine. They did xrays and other tests and everything is FINE. Heart is fine, chest is fine, lungs are fine. They literally just prescribed some nose drops. Now my ma is mad at me because I wouldn't go up to the front desk. Well feeling like this, I don't want to move because it hurts. I'm weak and tired and going to sleep.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom