May 8, 2013
Found her today like this:

-pale comb
-sits down with eyes closed
-when she breathes on the beak
-full normal crop
-around 8 months old
-greenish with yellow poop

One thing I just noticed. If I touch her chest bone right above the crop I can feel her heart pounding like it's right behind the skin. The opened beak might be because of the heart. I can feel it in her neck too and she moves her wattles really weird in and out very fast.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if you edited this or what but I could have sworn you said she was opening her beak and pointing it up like yawning, if so:

Gapes is a disease caused by a parasitic roundworm which is about 5/16ths of an inch long and looks like a fine thread. These pests lodge in the hen's throat and multiply there, so that the bird frequently opens its mouth wide as if yawning. To treat this condition make a salt brine, or steep tobacco in water for ten minutes. Pour one teaspoonful of either mixture down the chicken's throat. Then, keeping its head up, close the bird's nose holes and count slowly to five. Next, hold the patient by the feet, head down, and it will usually cough, sputter and evict the worms.

You haven't described many respiratory symptoms, but if there is watery eyes, nasal drainage, sneezing, chest gurgles, eye or face swelling it would sound like she has a respiratory disease such as infectious bronchitis, MG (CRD), coryza, or ILT. Most of these are chronic infectious diseases that make carriers of your flock. Culling is the best method to control these diseases. Antibiotics won't cure them, but make help with symptoms, but you would need to close your flock--no selling of birds or eggs. Here is a list of those and other diseases with symptoms to compare with what you are seeing: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Last edited:
Yeah, I edited a bit but didn't say anything about yawning. The main symptoms are pale face (skin, comb and wattles), fast breath and feeling the heartbeat right below her beak, in the neck. She used to lay every day but no eggs today. No watery eyes or any sort of discharge.

Did she have a mareks vaccine? You can check for egg binding with a lubricated finger into the vent using a rubber glove. Have you moved or added a new bird recently where coccidiosis might be of us concern? Are her poops diarrhea?

I'm not sure if you edited this or what but I could have sworn you said she was opening her beak and pointing it up like yawning, if so:

Gapes is a disease caused by a parasitic roundworm which is about 5/16ths of an inch long and looks like a fine thread. These pests lodge in the hen's throat and multiply there, so that the bird frequently opens its mouth wide as if yawning. To treat this condition make a salt brine, or steep tobacco in water for ten minutes. Pour one teaspoonful of either mixture down the chicken's throat. Then, keeping its head up, close the bird's nose holes and count slowly to five. Next, hold the patient by the feet, head down, and it will usually cough, sputter and evict the worms.

I read all that misinformation. Mother earth news doesnt know squat about chickens.

Last edited:
Did she have a mareks vaccine? You can check for egg binding with a lubricated finger into the vent using a rubber glove. Have you moved or added a new bird recently where coccidiosis might be of us concern? Are her poops diarrhea?
No vaccines. No new birds. Poop is solid green with a bit of yellow.

Back
Top Bottom