Sick Ameraucana?

nursefarfar

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 16, 2014
We bought 2 blue ameraucanas 2 weeks ago. They were 4 weeks old when we got them. She raised them on medicated food and so have we, except a few days ago I gave them non-medicated. A few days ago we started putting them outside during the day and brining them in at night. They have both looked great until yesterday my husband noticed one just sitting in the corner of the cage all PUFFED up. She has a quiet little cheep and doesn't move even when I try to pick her up. She is inside today and I gave her a little heat lamp. She is 6 weeks old and I thought I wouldn't loose a chick that old. The other chick is running around eating and looks great.
Any suggestions? Will she recover?
any ideas are gratefully welcomed!!!!

SmileChicks

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 18, 2014
Oregon
I would like to hear the reply's also.
Have a 4 week old, Red something., who is doing the same thing. Everyone else in the coop is great and active, but she just wants to sit by herself by the heat light. This morning she had a runny whitish poop. Yesterday, I was so proud that she would let me hold her so willingly, but today I think she might now feel so well.

The only thing I did differently was change the paper shreds and put in pine shavings. Wondering if changing back to just paper shreds .would make a difference. They eat the non-medicated chick starter, and I have been giving them some fruit and veggie scraps.

gander007

Crowing
6 Years
Oct 9, 2013
South Western Death Valley, Ca.
We bought 2 blue ameraucanas 2 weeks ago. They were 4 weeks old when we got them. She raised them on medicated food and so have we, except a few days ago I gave them non-medicated. A few days ago we started putting them outside during the day and brining them in at night. They have both looked great until yesterday my husband noticed one just sitting in the corner of the cage all PUFFED up. She has a quiet little cheep and doesn't move even when I try to pick her up. She is inside today and I gave her a little heat lamp. She is 6 weeks old and I thought I wouldn't loose a chick that old. The other chick is running around eating and looks great.

Your chicks are more then old enough to feed chick starter but I personally use Turkey Grow with 20% + protein great stuff .....

Your chick now needs something to help it grow so it is not receiving enough vitamins and other need minerals so how about cooking up some hard boiled egg's all natural and packed with what she needs right now ,,, so just remove the shell and mash egg up reel good and serve ...

The Vitamin B-3 & Niacin is what she is so badly needing right now ....

Hit me back if you have any questions .....

cafarmgirl

Crowing
10 Years
Mar 24, 2009
California, central valley
So she's 6 weeks old and has just started going outside....now she's sitting, lethargic, puffed up....all point to coccidiosis. It is extremely common in chicks this age. Get some Corid and start treating immediately, as in right now. Coccidiosis moves and kills very fast, you do not have time on your side. If you start treatment today you will likely save her. Just put it in their water and treat them both.

Being on medicated starter will not prevent an outbreak of coccidiosis, they can and often do still come down with it.

You local feed store or Tractor Supply should have Corid in the cattle section, either the 20% powder or 9.6% liquid is fine. The dose for the liquid is 2 teaspoons per gallon, dose for powder is 1 to 1.5 teaspoons per gallon. Make it up fresh every day and treat for 5 days.

nursefarfar

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 16, 2014
Thank you, my husband is at the feed store right now getting some. Really hope it is not too late. I ran into the breeder that I got them from and she thought it was because they were outside during the day and got cold. She hasn't had hers out yet. Things may be a bit worse now she is no longer standing puffed up, just laying down.
please cross fingers for her!!!!!!!!

cafarmgirl

Crowing
10 Years
Mar 24, 2009
California, central valley
Thank you, my husband is at the feed store right now getting some. Really hope it is not too late. I ran into the breeder that I got them from and she thought it was because they were outside during the day and got cold. She hasn't had hers out yet. Things may be a bit worse now she is no longer standing puffed up, just laying down.
please cross fingers for her!!!!!!!!
At 6 weeks old they are usually fully feathered so it would have to be quite cold out for them to be affected. I would be far more suspicious of coccidiosis. Obviously there's no way to know for sure but you have to start somewhere and it's always best to start with the most likely possibilities. When you get the Corid mixed up get an eye dropper or a small, needless syringe and give some to the sick bird directly since she is unlikely to drink on her own if she's feeling crummy. I would do this often, every hour even, just carefullly dribble some in the side of her beak and let her swallow. If this is coccidiosis that's going on with her you should see improvement in a day or so, Corid works fast. Good luck, hope she makes it!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom