Sick and I don’t know why

Wicountrylivin

In the Brooder
Jul 31, 2022
I have a chicken who is sick and I can’t figure it out. I would guess she is 3 or 4 (we got her as a full grown chicken so unsure of her of breed). Her tail is down and she is pulled in on herself. Her comb just yesterday has started to flip over. I orally drenched her for three days in a row (at 1.5cc once a day) but her poop became really runny and I was concerned about dyharia so I stopped. She had been eating and drinking but since I stopped the drench her appetite seems to have dropped but she is still drinking and eating some. She is still roosting at night. She is not egg bound. I’m unsure what else to do for her. There are no vets in the area that will touch a chicken so that isn’t an option either. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I have a chicken who is sick and I can’t figure it out. I would guess she is 3 or 4 (we got her as a full grown chicken so unsure of her of breed). Her tail is down and she is pulled in on herself. Her comb just yesterday has started to flip over. I orally drenched her for three days in a row (at 1.5cc once a day) but her poop became really runny and I was concerned about dyharia so I stopped. She had been eating and drinking but since I stopped the drench her appetite seems to have dropped but she is still drinking and eating some. She is still roosting at night. She is not egg bound. I’m unsure what else to do for her. There are no vets in the area that will touch a chicken so that isn’t an option either. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Attachments

• F04024C9-918F-4F59-A4E8-51E2C19451CB.jpeg
    F04024C9-918F-4F59-A4E8-51E2C19451CB.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
  • 933F20AB-3297-4B35-B4D3-060D68E3AA75.jpeg
    933F20AB-3297-4B35-B4D3-060D68E3AA75.jpeg
    1,023.6 KB · Views: 3
What did you drench her with?

You don't mention whether she's actively laying eggs or not. Often hens can start having reproductive problems like Cancer, EYP, Salpingitis, etc. which can make them feel unwell and they begin to decline. Feel her abdomen below the vent between her legs for bloat or fluid.
Is she molting?
Check to make sure her crop is emptying overnight. Look her over for lice/mites and get a fecal float to see if worms are part of the problem.

I'd leave her with the flock and monitor her from there. You can offer electrolytes or take her aside and see if she will eat bits of egg (or give the whole flock a treat) and some wet feed.

Back
Top Bottom