ChickenWitch1

In the Brooder
May 31, 2022
My EE bantam roo started acting off about a week ago. He seemed to have less interest in interacting with the other chickens, which is very unusual for him. It started getting worse a few days ago so I brought him inside. He’s eating only a bit, and i’m giving him water through an eye dropper. He’s EXTREMELY lathargic, he has no interest in moving or doing anything else besides sleeping. He’ll occasionally eat some wet crumbles and scrambled egg if I wake him up and put it in front of him. I don’t know if it’s related, but a week and a half ago or so, some of my chickens, including him, got stuck in the rain for atleast an hour and a half. After my mom found them she brought them inside and blow dried them. I wasn’t home. One of the hens who also got stuck in the rain passed away a couple days later. Could this be what’s causing his symptoms, and if so, what can I do? If not, does anyone know what else could be wrong and what I can do to help him?

Attachments

• CEA89371-6032-41F6-81EB-5F7F1E0B3999.jpeg
    CEA89371-6032-41F6-81EB-5F7F1E0B3999.jpeg
    577.1 KB · Views: 18
What does his poop look like?

Look him over for lice/mites.
Check his crop - what does it feel like?
Have you ever dewormed him?
Can you take a sample of his poop to a vet for a fecal float?

I'd work on hydration, giving a little sugar water or electrolytes alternating with plain water.
Giving him wet crumbles and egg is a good idea. I'd try to wake him often if possible and get him to take water and bits of food.

My favorite BO looks lethargic and stays alone. She 3 and half year old, a "grandma" with two gens under her wings. I dewormed the entire flock about 2 months ago. There is some wet poop, not sure which one but her behind is clean...

I worry she is not eating. So I fed her some egg liquid (5 X 1ML tube). Debating if I should bring her inside vs. let her stay with her flock insight... Also wasn't sure about electrolyte which has sodium. Myths has that chickens don't take sodium?

My favorite BO looks lethargic and stays alone. She 3 and half year old, a "grandma" with two gens under her wings. I dewormed the entire flock about 2 months ago. There is some wet poop, not sure which one but her behind is clean...

I worry she is not eating. So I fed her some egg liquid (5 X 1ML tube). Debating if I should bring her inside vs. let her stay with her flock insight... Also wasn't sure about electrolyte which has sodium. Myths has that chickens don't take sodium?
I'll take a look at your thread.
You can give a sick or stressed birds electrolytes for a short period of time.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...reenish-poop-and-not-eating-drinking.1545612/

It sounds like he has a “chicken cold”. I would use hydration formula from tractor supply, also use vetrx on his nose/eyes, it will clean out the mucus. For additional help put vetrx in his drinking water with the hydration formula. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    303.6 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom