SOS - Lethargic hen with greenish poop and not eating/drinking

Fintechie

Songster
Oct 23, 2019
New York
My BO is 3 and half years old. Always heathy with a good appetite. I noticed her withdrawing from the flock late yesterday, still went to rooster with the flock for the night. This morning she withdrew again and showed no interest of eating/drinking. She has been in her own pen, fed with syringe about 5ML egg liquid and 15ML
electrolyte water. Then I noticed her poop in the picture.
Crop - feels empty;
real end -looks clean despite the squishy poop;
Feather - looks okay, not seeing any bugs (not sure I can see lice or not) though she had started to molt a bit before this; But the tail feather is drooping.

Dewormer - The entire flock was dewormed with Safe-Guard Goat dewormer for 5 days about 2 months ago.

She is getting weaker as the day goes by. Last I noticed she tried to peck the scramble egg I put out in her pen. Pecked and swallowed on bit, then stopped.

Please HELP!

Attachments

• IMG_4027.jpg
    IMG_4027.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_4028.jpg
    IMG_4028.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 7
Any suggestions?
Does it look like Coccidiosis?
The worst is live failure. But she is too young, being 3.5 years old. She was frequently broody last three years, but not in last 6 months. So aging is for sure.

The green poop is from lack of food. If her tail is drooping, she could have a reproduction problem.
Does she lay eggs? Can you feel between her legs?
Thank you. So I guess the green stuff is bile then. I don't know if she is actually laying now or recently. My guess is not. I'll examine her tomorrow. Any specific guidance how to do that examination?(I'll look up) Do you think it may
be egg bound?

She tried to eat some yogurt off my spoon or the scrambled egg off her plate just because I was begging. Poor thing just pecked one or two and stopped...

Thank you. So I guess the green stuff is bile then. I don't know if she is actually laying now or recently. My guess is not. I'll examine her tomorrow. Any specific guidance how to do that examination?(I'll look up) Do you think it may
be egg bound?

She tried to eat some yogurt off my spoon or the scrambled egg off her plate just because I was begging. Poor thing just pecked one or two and stopped...
Oh forgot to mention - She is a BO, very broody type. Used to lay a clutch and went into broody, in a good rhythm. She hatched two batches in 2020 and 2021 (early spring, was cold and tough). Has gone into broody this year.

be egg bound?

If she is egg bound, she won't last too much longer without the egg expelled. It could also be a reproduction infection or acsites. Given her age, she's likely past laying. Can you get pictures of her standing? What's her usual diet?

If she is egg bound, she won't last too much longer without the egg expelled. It could also be a reproduction infection or acsites. Given her age, she's likely past laying. Can you get pictures of her standing? What's her usual diet?
I just read egg-bound has 48 hours deadline :(

Today she was mostly sitting on the ground or in her coop, rather standing. Will post pictures first thing tomorrow.

Her diet is primary 16% layer feed (as it is for the whole flock of 3 generations of hens - some of her batches are still laying plus gen2 and gen3 of her hatchlings).

The hens are free range in my backyard - half ace with grass since day1. We do have a lot of birds hanging around as we're adjacent to a nature reserve.

Can you post some photos of her too?

You mention molt - is she molting or not?

I'd work on hydration, the electrolytes are fine to give.
I'd give her 1 Calcium Citrate tablet once a day for 3-5 days, just pop the pill into her beak and let her swallow.
Offer wet feed, bits of egg, fish, etc. to try to entice her to eat a little something once she's drinking.
Do re-check her crop to see that it's emptying overnight.

Can you post some photos of her too?

You mention molt - is she molting or not?

I'd work on hydration, the electrolytes are fine to give.
I'd give her 1 Calcium Citrate tablet once a day for 3-5 days, just pop the pill into her beak and let her swallow.
Offer wet feed, bits of egg, fish, etc. to try to entice her to eat a little something once she's drinking.
Do re-check her crop to see that it's emptying overnight.
Thank you!!

Molting- she has been always very light molting all these years. She seemed to start shedding some feathers including her tail feathers a few weeks ago.
She is not eating on her own today; though pecking two, three times at my requests. We used a small syringe to feed, only very limited amount of electrolytes and egg liquid. She doesn’t like wet food at all. Thinking to tube feed to give her some more— mix of egg , yogurt, electrolytes and calc and VD3 . Good idea??

She still has good weight of four to five pounds. Still no clue what went wrong.

Also, plan to give her an epsom bath regardless.

Pray that she will hang on and work with me to eat/drink soon.

Just checked a video I took Tuesday evening- she was very active catching bugs with others. Will post current pictures tomorrow morning. Thank you all again 🙏

Back
Top Bottom