Sick baby, air in crop and when pressed she throws up whatever

Fudgie

Hatching Queen - Got Fudge?
11 Years
Sep 10, 2008
North Central Missouri boonies
I have a sick baby, 4 weeks old. Buff Brahma. She was doing great then the other day, i look in the brooder at them (like i do every day) and she is just kind of lethargic(not moving around for those that don't know)...
wink.png

Anyway, I go to put her in a brooder by herself and when I pick her up she tosses cookies. Runny wierd looking goop. I felt of her crop thinking it might be impacted and it felt like a balloon. when I pressed on it, she threw up more gook. I pushed all the air and stuff out of it gently and she is still alive today but not moving much and wanting to lay on her side. She has her mouth open and like gasping but she is breathing, i can see her tummy moving.

What do I need to do? Any ideas.
idunno.gif
I am at a loss

Sounds like "sour crop" - could be caused by bacteria...

Yeast can cause that air bubble stuff you're talking about.

I think I read somewhere to give them Apple Cider Vinegar - 1 TB to a gallon of water or somethereabouts.

yes, this sounds like sour crop. It is a fungal infection and needs to be treated immediately or this chick will not make it. I dont know of any over the counter anti fungal meds, I only know of ones the vet can prescribe. The chick is at severe risk for dehydration which will kill a small chick very quickly also. I hope someone comes along with a suggestion very quickly for you. Do a search on sour crop, dlunicorn has posted some great articles in the recent past. You need to tend to this matter quickly. Best wishes.

Any idea what the name of anything that I need to get would be, around here chickens are one of those things, they get sick they die because the country vets just don't carry stuff to treat only sulfa drugs.

I have to admit, she is drinking which is good but when she walks she acts top heavy. Her crop is normal size but when she walks her butt is up in the air and her head is down low....like i feel when I have a migraine. I wish I could walk like that sometimes. LOL

Quote:
I know it's not a laughing matter, but the visual of the butt up in the air, head down having a migrane made me crack a smile. Poor baby chick. Not only do they look pitiful and helpless, but it's even worse for you because it's not like they can tell you where it hurts.

I sure hope lil chick recovers soon! Hang in there!

It is kind of funny but I feel sorry for her! She is at least not leaning on her left side today that is an improvement and I will take any improvement I can get! I am going to try the yeast thing and also the apple cider vinegar. Cannot hurt any more than she is hurting now

Be careful pushing on the crop-never push upward. I just lost a hen to sour crop when she choked on stuff that was coming up. She began throwing up on her own as I was bringing her to the house to treat her. Massage the crop, but dont push. And dont feed anything except yogurt and a tiny bit of egg. No grains till the chick is better, nothing she has to grind. Get the unfiltered Apple Cider Vinegar with mother of vinegar (sediment in bottom)

Quote:
I really did not have to push at all much, when I picked her up she was doing it for me. it was mushy and air filled and when i squeezed it gently you could hear the air expel. then liquid came out. I feel sick right now because I gave her some feed before I left this AM. URGH!
th.gif
I hope she is ok, we were going to add her to our flock of buff brahmas (only 4 strong right now 1 roo and a hen and a pullet and 2 new little ones hatched out. My other chick baby is fine) but maybe this one needs culling if this could happen over and over again which I have read!

yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif

She is doing good today! I gave her some yogurt but she did not really like it much. I stuck her beak in it so she had to eat a little LOL. We had 2 little babies smaller than her that were not doing too well and we put them in the brooder with her..... This AM, she is acting like a little mommie, babies under her wings and getting around with her butt down this time! Thanks to all for the help!
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom