Sick baby chick

Jaimes09

Songster
Sep 6, 2021
I have these 2 chicks from 4. The other 2 passed as they were week and mom started abandoning them. So I ended up with only these 2. One seems to be doing fine but i got this one here that seems like it Opens its beak to breathe. And then I noticed it developed that red spot on it’s eye since yesterday. What could it be?

I was just able to setup a smaller brooder with wood Chips so i will be putting them in that by tomorrow morning.

Attachments

• 8677D457-7FBA-4476-96E8-E19F59570965.jpeg
    8677D457-7FBA-4476-96E8-E19F59570965.jpeg
    667.5 KB · Views: 10
They don't look well, do they? Is mom keeping them warm, or do you have some supplemental heat for them? --- OR is his beak open because he's panting and it's TOO hot?

If I could help, I'd put them in a brooder ASAP, heat at about 85-90 degrees. Give them some electrolytes in their water - if you have some. Or make some: 1 cup warm water, 2 teaspoons molasses OR 2 teaspoons granulated sugar, 1/8 teaspoon salt, 1/8 teaspoon baking soda, 1/8 teaspoon potassium chloride (optional). If they won't drink it on their own, give it to them with a dropper or on a Q-tip. Mix some cooked egg yolk with their chick starter and make a mash to eat.

I don't know about the red spot, but his wing also looks wet and rough, like maybe he's been pickled on. It's just possible that mom has been trying to reject him, too. I'd take both chicks away from her and raise them in a brooder, but that's a commitment and re-integration process when they're older.

They don't look well, do they? Is mom keeping them warm, or do you have some supplemental heat for them? --- OR is his beak open because he's panting and it's TOO hot?

If I could help, I'd put them in a brooder ASAP, heat at about 85-90 degrees. Give them some electrolytes in their water - if you have some. Or make some: 1 cup warm water, 2 teaspoons molasses OR 2 teaspoons granulated sugar, 1/8 teaspoon salt, 1/8 teaspoon baking soda, 1/8 teaspoon potassium chloride (optional). If they won't drink it on their own, give it to them with a dropper or on a Q-tip. Mix some cooked egg yolk with their chick starter and make a mash to eat.

I don't know about the red spot, but his wing also looks wet and rough, like maybe he's been pickled on. It's just possible that mom has been trying to reject him, too. I'd take both chicks away from her and raise them in a brooder, but that's a commitment and re-integration process when they're older.
Yes so they are currently in a big pen as i didn’t have a brooder setup yet but i have taken them from momma already. He opens it due to sickness though. That’s what i think at least cause I’ve been raising heat lamp at different hieghts and it does it no matter what. Starts chirping a bit when it’s high.

How old are they? Put a thermometer on the floor under warmest part of the light. Can you get some bedding for them, such as pine shavings? Coccidiosis might possibly be a problem, but there could be some sort of weakness from not getting enough food or water. Right now I would give some water with sugar (1 tsp per cup) or electrolytes if you have them, from a small cup. What do the poops look like?

How old are they? Put a thermometer on the floor under warmest part of the light. Can you get some bedding for them, such as pine shavings? Coccidiosis might possibly be a problem, but there could be some sort of weakness from not getting enough food or water. Right now I would give some water with sugar (1 tsp per cup) or electrolytes if you have them, from a small cup. What do the poops look like?
Got them in here now, both have developed that red eye though. One has it slightly opened the other closed most times. They eat fine though and drink. I think they developed the issues after mom started leaving them. Anything i could put on their eye? Maybe eye drops or just leave them?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    803.9 KB · Views: 4
Got them in here now, both have developed that red eye though. One has it slightly opened the other closed most times. They eat fine though and drink. I think they developed the issues after mom started leaving them. Anything i could put on their eye? Maybe eye drops or just leave them?
I suspect the eye issues are just a symptom and eye drops won't do much good. It's good they are eating and drinking; be sure you are giving them electrolytes in one waterer, and plain water in another - so they have a choice. They'll drink whichever they need. I'd also supplement their chick starter feed with scrambled eggs (protein and selenium) and yogurt (probiotics). It would NOT hurt at all to add a capsule or two of Vitamin E and B-1 (thiamine). All this to build up their strength and immune systems.

And I'd put some Corid (1/2 tsp per quart, or 2 tsp per gallon) in their waterers to fight off coccidiosis infection, which they sound like they might have picked up. [Edited to add:] If you DO use Corid, then omit the Vitamin B-1 - per @Wyorp Rock 's advice below.

Last edited:
It would NOT hurt at all to add a capsule or two of Vitamin E and B-1 (thiamine). All this to build up their strength and immune systems.

And I'd put some Corid (1/2 tsp per quart, or 2 tsp per gallon) in their waterers to fight off coccidiosis infection, which they sound like they might have picked up.

If treating with Corid, then omit extra Thiamine (B1) until the course of treatment is finished.

Corid is a synthetic thiamine analogue and blocks the thiamine transporter of Eimeria species, so adding extra B1 could affect the effectiveness of the medication.

I do not have any little packets for the water but I did put some sugar in there. I plan on switching it to plain water when i get back from school. I should have some yogurt as well so i will provide that to them.

UPDATE: the one closer in the picture died. The second one is still going tuff. Eats fine, has grown a bit but his left eye is red and the right eye is closed at times still. What can i put on his eye to help? Is there any home remedies i could use to improve them or just give it time? I hate to just leave him there. I have rubbed his eye with warm water when possible

Back
Top Bottom