Sick baby chick

HobbyFarmHopeful

Hatching
9 Years
Jul 20, 2010
Hi there! I am new to all things farming.
smile.png
We recently moved onto 49 acres and hope to start our own small farm.
I had my first baby chicks delivered last Thursday and they have been doing wonderful. However, today several of them have been holding their mouths open. They were fine this morning when I gave them fresh water and food. I did have a brooder lamp on them but have turned it off because I thought perhaps they are just too hot. However, my instructions from the hatchery were that i had to keep them at a constant temperature of 100 degrees. I'm not sure what to do. It is hot here. I live in Ky and the humidity and heat are awful right now. So, I personally think that the outside temperature should be fine, but since I'm new to this, I really don't know. They look completely fine otherwise, nostrils, eyes, mouth are all clear. They are moving about. Please help! I don't want to lose any of them.
sad.png

Keep the heat lamp somewhere and make sure there is place for them to move away if they are too hot. And move back if they feel cold

However, the gaping mouth does sound like they were trying to cool themselves down. They don't sweat, so they sort of 'gasp' to cool themselves a little.
But give them the option of being under the heat lamp or not x

Deffinately provide an are where they can escape the lamp. You don't want a draft, but make sure they can escape the heat! My first week I kept them at 95-100. Then I would just move the lamp or re aim it to a smaller area if they stayed away from it. I always left them the option of getting under it or not. They need room to get away from or closer to the heat. I usually would just aim it into a corner. Then even up the brooder wall as they grew. As long as it is 95+ in the brooder floor under the lamp you should be fine. Just let them choose how close to get to the heat. I know what you mean about the heat and humidity! I'm in N.E. Texas. It's been in the high 90's and 75%+ humidity. UGHHHHHH!!!!!! I feel so sorry for the hens in the coop trying to lay eggs!! They have huge vents in the coop but I know it's Got to be HOT!!! I may add a small fan soon. They have been standing in their water pan! LOL

Congrats on the new Babies!!!

God Bless!

Thanks so much for the advice! I did take the lamp away for a bit and I gave them fresh water and put some electrolytes in it and they seem to be bouncing back nicely. Thank goodness! I was worried. I will set the lamp off to the side now and let them come and go out of it as they please, hopefully that will help. God Bless!

Back
Top Bottom