sick baby quail

lagpmgdsls

Songster
10 Years
Apr 6, 2009
I came home from work last night and 1 of my 3 little quails was not looking to good. Just laying on its side, eyes closed...but still breathing. These 3 are in with the jumbos who have grown much bigger then themselves. I took the 3 little ones out and put them in a different brooder and I hand fed the sick one some water with honey in it with a tiny syringe. It did pretty good taking drops. I probably got about 2 ML's in it. When I put it back in the brooder it was barely able to hold itself up, using its buddies for balancing. This morning I was surprised it was still alive but it was and up walking around. I hand fed it some more and it is still doing better. It is mostly walking and sitting in its knees with brief periods of being upright. It was also chirping awhile ago. I added some honey to their water container.

Hopefully it will pull through.

My jumbos are enjoying their first dust bath...so funny!

I am sorry you are having problems with the little one. I would like to recommend that you use light karo syrup and not honey. Honey is hard for their body to process. If you don't have light karo use suger water.
Best of luck I hope the little one makes it.

Thanks for that info! I didn't know honey was hard on them.

They are all still hangin in....eating and drinking.

Well, the sick one died today. It seemed to be doing better although not 100%. I think something was wrong with one of its legs as it seemed to be leaning towards that side and would sleep with that weak side propped against either the wall of the cage or one of the other quail.
The other 2 little ones seem just fine...just so much smaller than the jumbos.

awh im sorry to read this
hugs.gif
I lost a special colored one today as well that was acting odd the other day. Just seems like sometimes some just aren't meant to live
idunno.gif

Thanks everyone. I tried but I guess it wasn't meant to live.

Niki sorry to hear about your loss today also.

Back
Top Bottom