Quail hatchling deformities and quality of life

SMMS3617

Chirping
Apr 28, 2021
Hi,

I just had a clutch of 15 eggs in my incubator, and unfortunately only 3 have survived thus far. They are a mix of pansy fee, jumbo pearl, pansy and Italian coturnix.

One is zipping around the brooder and is very vocal. The other two have issues with their feet--curled toes. So, we fashioned them those little masking tape shoes I saw online. They are still struggling to flip off their backs and I'm wondering about the reality of a quality life. They are only 48 hours old or so, so I'm hoping I can avoid loss of life.

Last night I fed them water with droplets off my finger and they responded. They are a bit lethargic, especially compared to their able-footed sibling.

One of these guys does have a crooked neck too, wondering about what that may mean for it's quality as well.

Advice appreciated!!

The curled toes will usually get better within 24 hours if they're going to get better. If they do, no problem. If they don't, their quality of life isn't going to be good, and I would cull.

The one with wry neck can live a perfectly normal life as long as it can walk and eat properly.

The curled toes will usually get better within 24 hours if they're going to get better. If they do, no problem. If they don't, their quality of life isn't going to be good, and I would cull.

The one with wry neck can live a perfectly normal life as long as it can walk and eat properly.
I read on another thread that poly vi sol is helpful for strengthening feet and legs? Should I get any kind of supplement? I have Pro Manna starter feed for them, medicated.

I had a family member check on them while I'm at work and I was told the two are wriggling and responding to water droplets so I will keep doing that.
Should I worry about getting food into them yet? Or can they still exist on their energy supply from the egg?

I read on another thread that poly vi sol is helpful for strengthening feet and legs? Should I get any kind of supplement? I have Pro Manna starter feed for them, medicated.

I had a family member check on them while I'm at work and I was told the two are wriggling and responding to water droplets so I will keep doing that.
Should I worry about getting food into them yet? Or can they still exist on their energy supply from the egg?
You're feeding them chicken starter feed? Please get them some game bird or turkey starter. Chicken feed does not have the nutrition that they need. Non medicated is also preferred.

They may not show much interest in food for the first 12-24 hours while they're still absorbing their yolk, but they should be eating after that.

Some Nutri-Drench might help your chicks with issues.

You're feeding them chicken starter feed? Please get them some game bird or turkey starter. Chicken feed does not have the nutrition that they need. Non medicated is also preferred.

They may not show much interest in food for the first 12-24 hours while they're still absorbing their yolk, but they should be eating after that.

Some Nutri-Drench might help your chicks with issues.
Oh thank you, I didn't realize I was using the wrong feed. I'll puck up some today at TSC. I appreciate that!

I only have the one remaining chick, both of the two with deformed feet passed. So I'm trying to keep this one as happy and socialized as possible. I put mini stuffed animals in the brooder and interact with it as often as I can. I ordered more eggs to see if I can have a more successful hatch this time around.

Back
Top Bottom