Sick birds this spring.

i have chicks from mm that i got on sunday,,i am following the thread as i may be facing this,,,i may need this information,,,

Come on. Why cant we act more mature? If anybody can get some testing done on there chicks please do so to help out other members.

Last edited:
I know that there are several state poultry labs spread around my state and if you call them, you can usually discuss the symptoms over the phone with someone and get an on the fly diagnosis and they can tell you if they believe you should bring in the bird to be tested. What it will cost will vary by state, so it does not have to be an avian vet. Look up your Dept of Agriculture site in your state and check out poultry labs.

That sounds much better speckledhen. Is there anyway you could provide a number to have people call? It sounds much better then the hassle of "the waiting game" or what should people type in to find a local lab?

Edited: typos

Last edited:
Just an FYI, I have a call into USDA/NPIP to ask if they can confirm or deny any problems with any hatcheries.

I left a message that there has been speculation about possible mareks vaccine contamination and one person said they had a positive diagnosis of AE.

This may be a reportable disease to APHIS, if so, they will hear about it shortly. If not, USDA/NPIP will be on this as these hatcheries are strictly regulated.

To all those with sick chicks, make sure you do not cross contaminate. Care for your adult chickens, if you have them, first. This would be best since we do not know what we are dealing with yet.

I want to Thank u brett!!!!! I personally doen't have birds sick but I was contacted by another countys 4h and they ordered chicks from the same hatchery as everyone else with this issue. They are in a panic thinking its pullorum and I am heading down to do testing on the chicks tommorow to ease everyones mind. It helps to let them know that the chicks could of been exposed to this illness and the ones who pull threw do have a chance. ( The chicks are showing the same symtoms as everyone elses) so Thank u brett for stepping up and getting birds tested. Theres will be going to MSU for further testing I think
Allie

My "official" analysis will be done tomorrow, or more likely by Monday due to Good Friday holiday. The University of MN VDL said they will be willing to post their findings out here for you at that time.

I do NOT have an official diagnosis, but I would STRONGLY recommend doing what Brett suggested.

TLC for your survivors. They may/may not heal. Keep sick birds isolated from healthy ones from hatchery, not due to spread of the problem as much as for TLC for the infected so they don't get trampled. Keep birds on electrolytes (all of them) and vitamins. Try all the suggested methods to get your chicks to drink and eat. Chicks can become dehydrated extremely fast, so make sure they are getting fresh clean water very close to where they are lying. Honey from an eyedropper may have saved some of mine as well.

Personal recommendation from a non-vet (me) - keep your chicks from this hatchery separated from all other chicks for at least 30 days, ideally 6-8 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom