Sick birds this spring.

Brett, Thank you so much for posting this.

I recieved 51 chicks from McMu Yesterday morning. Two were already dead. I didn't think much of it. I figured they got trampled and couldn't handle the stress of shipping. 5 more have died since. They had all of the symptoms of AE that you described.

We ordered the Meat and Egg combo. We have only lost one "meat" bird. The other 6 dead chicks are from the Egg chickens. The meat birds act normal and pretty healthy, the egg ones are lethargic in my experience.

We have seperated the two groups into seperate brooders.

I called McMu. They said it was just stress from shipping, give them electrolyes and an antibiotic to combat the stress. They are already on electrolyes. I asked them if I should get them tested incase it's something else so the rest of my flock isn't at risk. She said "NO" emphatically. Then she said it would cost me to much money and it's just shipping stress.

I don't agree. We usually hatch out our own chicks and mine never acted like these sick chicks to. It's heartbreaking to watch! We are supposed to call McMu back tomorrow and let them know how the chicks are doing. I understand that hatcheries don't intentionally make their birds sick, but if there is more to it than just shipping stress, I want them to correct the problem!

I think this is my first and last time of ordering chicks like this. I'm going to find a local breeder if I need to add lines to my flock!

Taking a deep breath,
My chicks have the same hatch date as Bretts
If what I understand is correct, all my chicks have been exposed (we have 4 chicks with symptons out of 24 they were seperated once we saw some not doing well and they are now in their own brooders)

what is hard is that our chicks are doing better.

I know i need to take in one in and euthanize and test. To rule _in_ or _out_ AE.

I talked to the avian vet staff, they are very concerned because AE is very cantagious.

We are going to take our wost chick in on Thursday for a necropsy.
I hate to do this as they are feeling better. But AE is very contagious.

I now need to see if Vikon will kill the AE virus that is on my property.
I'm just sick about this. Time to do more research.

I'm supposed to get chicks from Ideal in about a week.....

Deep breath again,
Can anyone tell help me with this from the literature you have read.
FIRST IF,,,,,, B I G IF
this is AE I have with my chicks.
1 - could I have chicks that were exposed that just never got sick?
2 - could chicks that never got sick be carriers of the virus?
3 - How long should I be concerned - we saw or first chicks get sick about 1 week ago.
4 - how long can they shed the virus?
If "the mother hens" of our chicks were vaccinated for AE, would her chicks be immune. Could this explain why some chicks are not getting sick? (something tells me no)

At count we are only having 1 breed impacted that I can see and it started 1 week ago.

I'm not in a panic, I want to try to make my best choices to take care of my birds.
Some info I have read suggest I should euthanize my entire flock of chicks. Our chicks will be 4 weeks old on saturday.

I want to thank the clear headed people on this list that have tried to stay focused and not spread panic and blame.

my dealings with the hatchary have been very professional and compasionate.

There has been so much info, thanks for anyone who can clear up any of my concerns, or point me to the right answers on the web.
Thank you,
CS

Quote:
we are using molassas and It did perk a few of the lethargic ones back up. I'm really afraid that this is going to affect the rest of my flock. The babies are in the house in their brooders. So they are away from the other chickens. I work for the extension service here in WV and I will be talking to them tomorrow. Maybe they can give me more information.

Quote:
First of all I want to thank YOU for reminding all to take a deep breath and find the best way though this! Your a true leader.

To answer your questions, as you said just from the reading I have done since this test result was announced.

1) yes, just as you may not get sick when everyone else in your family has the flu, not all chicks have to get sick.
2) Sadly yes, I have not read this on this virus, but I have some medical knowledge and it's true of viruses in general.
3) 8 weeks seems to be a common age they say chicks will not get sick afterward.
4) I have seen no shed information. There is some conficting information on culling the flock. Most recommend it if the flock tests positive, some say survivors have immune chicks, but are not thrifty or good producers. Those exposed but not sick are a grey area.

Breeder layer hens that were vacinated should have immune chicks that will either not get sick or not get it as bad, but if exposed might be carriers.

Hope that helps, but again from limited information I have had time to dig up. Your best source is the people that will do your testing and your state vet service. Good luck, keep breathing and know that your in our thoughts.

I took 5 chicks (3 polish, 1 cochin, and 1 aracauna) with the same symptoms to the NC State Vet Lab today for necropsies with the Avian Pathologist. I talked to him a few hours later and he said that his initial exam of all of the chicks organs were normal. He said they did not have rickets. He said they did not have Marek's. He will do further testing under a microscope and will have results on Monday. He will be looking at all their internal organs (pancreas, spleen, brain, spinal cord, kidneys, etc). He will look closely at the brain as that is how he will determine if it is AE. He also said it's possible he won't ever know what the problem is.
In the meantime he said that AE is highly contagious to other birds. I will post again on Monday when I have results.
My chicks hatched March 1 from McMurray....they were not vaccinated.

Quote:
A virus isolation test needs to be done to determine if this is AE in your chick also. From what I have read this is the only positive way to correctly identify it.

ok i have read all this

Dose anyone know where to get this vaccine?
and is it something we can give if needed at the
right age?

The batch that I ordered was hatched on feb 16th. I only have 12 left from 27. The chicks I lost all had the signs of AE. They were fine in the am, then went into "sitting" position, and never recovered from that. they could only wobble around, even if I tried to get them back up. I thought that I had done something horribly wrong {only my second time with day-olds} I beat myself up for days over the losses. It only makes me feel a little better that it was probably something I couldn't have treated.
I agree...just take a deep breath, think *WOOSAA* and get back to doing what you need to do to make the next batch as happy and healthy as you can. Pull out the bleach, wipe everything down, and hope for the best!
We can't bring back those we lost by freaking out, panicking, or arguing. Just do your best to help the living!

~chikncrazy~ Do you have contact info for the NC state vet? I tried a google search but am not coming up with anything. I too am in NC and would like to have the number handy in case any problems arise. Right now my chicks are 13 days old and fine, but want to be prepared to act fast if I have any issues come up.
Thanks
Amy

Back
Top Bottom