Sick Bitties

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jpepmiller, Apr 30, 2017.

1. jpepmiller

jpepmiller Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2017
    Louisiana
    [​IMG]

This is one of my 6 week old pullets. I noticed a week ago that her left eye was bleeding so I isolated her and started her in tetracycline. I also started putting antibiotic ointment on her eye. It's not really getting worse but it's not getting better. I can't keep her from scratching at it. I've also had 2 of my 4 week old pullets die in the last 3 days and another one is acting sick. They are all being kept together. The only thing I really notice is that they have a small red spot behind their eye. Please help.

2. BIggoMamma

BIggoMamma Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2017
    Whatever it is is contagious, and you have been using antibiotics. You should call Auburn University Department of Poultry Science at 334-844-2881 they are helpful somebody shared this number with me.

3. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I'm sorry for your loss.

Can you see a vet?
    Is there mucous coming from the nostrils as well?
    Any other symptoms - coughing sneezing, lethargy?
    Are they pooping?
    What symptoms do you see with the 4wk olds?

Do the best you can to keep them hydrated, without some testing from a vet it's hard to know what course of treatment to take. Respiratory illness can cause coughing, sneezing, facial swelling, mucous from the nostrils and discharge/pus from the eyes. Since you initially saw the eye bleeding, it most likely was from pecking which can cause eye infection - the scratching can make it worse. Having a vet swab the discharge and giving you the correct medication, will hopefully help.

Since you have 2 that have died - I assume from a different batch, hatch or breeder - and another is getting sick - it would be best to have testing/necropsy performed to know what you are dealing with.

Do your best to keep them hydrated.

Let us know how they are doing.

4. jpepmiller

jpepmiller Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2017
    Louisiana
    So as far as this bird goes, I think it's just an eye infection. Got some tylen50 to give it. Hopefully it helps. As far as the bitties, I think they got too cold. It's like 85 degrees during the day her in Louisiana but drops down to 50s at night. Put a heat lamp on them now. Hopefully it helps. Only other thing I can figure is Cocci but who knows? All my others seem great. And he ones that died were smallest in bunch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by