Sick Bitties

jpepmiller

In the Brooder
Mar 2, 2017
Louisiana

This is one of my 6 week old pullets. I noticed a week ago that her left eye was bleeding so I isolated her and started her in tetracycline. I also started putting antibiotic ointment on her eye. It's not really getting worse but it's not getting better. I can't keep her from scratching at it. I've also had 2 of my 4 week old pullets die in the last 3 days and another one is acting sick. They are all being kept together. The only thing I really notice is that they have a small red spot behind their eye. Please help.

Whatever it is is contagious, and you have been using antibiotics. You should call Auburn University Department of Poultry Science at 334-844-2881 they are helpful somebody shared this number with me.

This is one of my 6 week old pullets. I noticed a week ago that her left eye was bleeding so I isolated her and started her in tetracycline. I also started putting antibiotic ointment on her eye. It's not really getting worse but it's not getting better. I can't keep her from scratching at it. I've also had 2 of my 4 week old pullets die in the last 3 days and another one is acting sick. They are all being kept together. The only thing I really notice is that they have a small red spot behind their eye. Please help.
I'm sorry for your loss.

Can you see a vet?
Is there mucous coming from the nostrils as well?
Any other symptoms - coughing sneezing, lethargy?
Are they pooping?
What symptoms do you see with the 4wk olds?

Do the best you can to keep them hydrated, without some testing from a vet it's hard to know what course of treatment to take. Respiratory illness can cause coughing, sneezing, facial swelling, mucous from the nostrils and discharge/pus from the eyes. Since you initially saw the eye bleeding, it most likely was from pecking which can cause eye infection - the scratching can make it worse. Having a vet swab the discharge and giving you the correct medication, will hopefully help.

Since you have 2 that have died - I assume from a different batch, hatch or breeder - and another is getting sick - it would be best to have testing/necropsy performed to know what you are dealing with.

Do your best to keep them hydrated.

Let us know how they are doing.

So as far as this bird goes, I think it's just an eye infection. Got some tylen50 to give it. Hopefully it helps. As far as the bitties, I think they got too cold. It's like 85 degrees during the day her in Louisiana but drops down to 50s at night. Put a heat lamp on them now. Hopefully it helps. Only other thing I can figure is Cocci but who knows? All my others seem great. And he ones that died were smallest in bunch.

Back
Top Bottom