1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

sick call duck

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by duckydame, Dec 28, 2011.

1. duckydame

duckydame New Egg

Dec 28, 2011
    I need help with a sick call duck. She is about one year old. I found her yesterday flipped on her back. She was dirty and I cleaned her up and put her on my back porch("hospital for chickens/ducks") with a light .She is eating and drinking but her balance is off-kept getting flipped over outside and can't flip back-she is a very small call duck.I gave her some Tylan/B vitamins orally... any suggestions. She may have a respiratory illness because I have had chickens with one .Really does not have any discharge. thanks I am new to this forum

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    hi Duckydame- firstly welcome to BYC- but sorry you first post wasnt for a more positive reason. One symptom of Thiamine deficiency is flipping over- so giving her the vitamins will help give her a boost if she is deficient. Of course there may be other reasons as well for her problem. Keeping her separate is a good idea too so she wont be trampled on by any of the others. Is it possible that the feed has become wet and moldy?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by