Sick Chick and Amoxocillin

Twitchy Bee

In the Brooder
Jun 12, 2017
Please help. This morning i woke up and my one chick ran up coughing and gurgling. She looks completely fine on the outside,but you can hear her lungs rattling. I can't find any animal antibiotics anywhere and decided on using mom's amoxicillin. My question is how much powdered pill do you give a chick about 2 mths in age?

Please help. This morning i woke up and my one chick ran up coughing and gurgling. She looks completely fine on the outside,but you can hear her lungs rattling. I can't find any animal antibiotics anywhere and decided on using mom's amoxicillin. My question is how much powdered pill do you give a chick about 2 mths in age?
@casportpony ?
@Wyorp Rock

Welcome to BYC! Amoxicillin can be used, but you have to weigh her. Do you have a food or postal scale? If not, can you buy one or take her to a post office and weigh her on one of their scales? Dose is 56 mg per pound twice a day.

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC! Amoxicillin can be used, but you have to weigh her. Do you have a food or postal scale? If not, can you buy one or take her to a post office and weigh her on one of their scales? Dose is 56 mg per pound twice a day.
Thanks so much! Woke up to my other chick breathing weird. I did separate them immediately. Everyone else is on precaution meds. Ill do the yogurt. Would chobani Greek be okay? I'm really far from a grocery store. Maybe ill get my mom to bring some after work. Thank you guys!

@casportpony will be able to tell you. But until she answers I would advise you to separate her from the others and maybe give her a little yogurt and scrambled eggs.. Keep her warm also. Someone else will be along shortly im sure.
Would Chobani Greek be okay? If not ill have someone grab it from down the mountain tonight

Thanks so much! Woke up to my other chick breathing weird. I did separate them immediately. Everyone else is on precaution meds. Ill do the yogurt. Would chobani Greek be okay? I'm really far from a grocery store. Maybe ill get my mom to bring some after work. Thank you guys!
What are "precaution meds"?

The chicks sound great! No more wheezing and sneezing unless I move their cage too much. Just the stress brings it up again. Keeping them quarantined until they are fully recovered. How long should they be on medicine? Along with the others eating the starter feed as precaution?

I believe its Coryza. Now two more birds have it. I'm treating them now. I'm just confused about the disease. Once they get it, they'll be carriers for life, but will they get this sick again if they already had it? These chickens are just pets and ill never sell them nor have chicks since this disease.

Back
Top Bottom