sick chick drags tail and falls to side

nknkdvt

Chirping
11 Years
Nov 1, 2011
Texas
She panics when I pick her up and tries to go out and eat with the other chickens. no one is picking on her that i have seen. comb looks good. but she cant walk right her tail is down and she falls to her side kindof dragging herself along the ground when she tries to walk. Maybe egg bound??? I need to act fast either cull (which I don't want to since she is still trying to defend herself) or help her.
TY for any advice.
Diane

Separate her in a crate to watch her. Place her food and water close enough to reach. Add vitamins to her water since some leg problems can be from deciency. She sounds like she could possibly have Mareks disease or some other neurological problem. Did she have a Mareks vaccine? You can lubricate a gloved finger, and insert it into the vent to gently check for an egg.

She is about 6 months old. No Marek's vaccine because we hatched her and didn't have any. Gave her a dewormer just in case, a bolus of water and a little olive oil. No bath yet but that's next on the list. She won't eat so maybe yogurt would help? TY for the replies so far, I really appreciate it.

Check with a lubricated gloved finger for an egg--if you feel an egg, give calcium--a crushed calcium tablet, Tums, or liquid calcium by mouth. Feel her lower belly while checking for the egg. Then give a warm bath if there is an egg.

Am not sure what an egg feels like when it's stuck in the chicken. I thought maybe I felt something so gave her a warm bath with baby shampoo (she had dried stool on tail feathers- maybe from not being able to get up vs maybe loose stool), a blow dry, and snuggle time in towels. No egg came out sooo maybe not? or does it take awhile? .

So sorry, that must be stressful for her and really stressful for you. you seem to be doing it all. Good luck!

If she is egg bound give her a human calcium pill. The calcium helps them to lay. How is she doing now? Can you update us ? Best wishes..

Back
Top Bottom