Sick chick! Labored breathing with beak open...

Have you tried dipping her beak and getting her to drink? She may have been prevented from getting to water long enough that she overheated and weakened. Try treating her like a new arrival. Sugar water, dip her beak and get her to drink as much as she will every hour or so. Maybe she will bounce back. If not, you may have to accept the fact that a certain percentage don't make it at this early stage.

UGCM

I wouldn't worry about the Aspen, I use them for my Guinea Pigs because they have less vapor than pine.
I wonder if since you are using organic feed, it could be cocci? (Unless they were vaccinated?) What is the poop like in the sick one?

Thanks, everyone for your help!

Aspen shavings are specifically recommended because they are less aromatic than pine or cedar.

Over the past few hours I've been feeding her a 5% electrolyte solution with an eyedropper, putting small drops on her beak. She seemed to get a bit of energy from that. About fifteen minutes later she had what appeared to be a clear discharge from her vent - perhaps I fed her too much of the electrolyte solution. Shortly after that she ate a bit for the first time in several hours. Then she pooped again and it looked pretty normal.

However, while it seemed she was improving for a while, she is now looking quite distressed. Her breathing is very labored, as you can see in this video. (You can see her whole body contracting and expanding with each breath. She kind of flops around the box she's in every now and then, not very gracefully. And even her peeping sound is different than it used to be. If she was human I'd say she sounds like she has a bad cold.

I showed the video to a friend who works in bird rescue and this is what he said:

It looks like the labored breathing may not be related to being dehydrated.

Electrolytes may help but, she might have a upper respiratory tack
infection.

Birds can be prone to aspergillosis, a fungal disease and her breathing
reminds me of one of the symptoms. It is hard to detect and difficult to
treat. It is an ubiquitous fungus and though all chicks would be exposed
they should be resistant unless they have a compromised immune system.

Many things suppress the immune system like stress, poor diet, steroids etc.

So like I said the electrolytes may help but if it is an infections the
chicks chances are very poor.

If it is a respiratory infection I guess there's not much I can do.

Thanks again.

UPDATE: somehow, the chick is still alive. Her breathing is extremely labored, and she isn't moving much. I do agree that she probably has a respiratory infection. It's hard to watch her suffer, especially when the chances that she'll live are poor.

I would remove her into her own area--and give her electrolytes and I would start her on antibitics--you can go to tractor supply and buy Tylan injectable. You give this with a needle--it's VERY easy to do. PM me and I can walk you through how to give the needle(ask TSC for the smallest needle they carry).

I have been giving her electrolytes... perhaps that's what's kept her alive, because she won't really eat or drink on her own.

I'll PM you about the antibiotics.

Yay, she survived!

We gave her the Emergen-C and some homeopathic medicine and she made a huge comeback.

Her voice is still a little hoarse, but otherwise she seems fine.

Here's a video .

Thanks again for all of your support.

Quote:
YAY!!! Glad to hear she's doing better!!!
smile.png

i realize this is a long shot trying to get a response from this, but I have an ill chick that appears to have the exact same symptoms as your little chick in the video. I would love to know exactly what you did to nurse her back to life. Emergen-C? I have been dripping electrolytes on her beak because she wont drink on her own. Did you have to feed yours? Thank you. Searching for solutions is endless and tiring and I would greatly appreciate your feedback!

Back
Top Bottom