Sick Chick?! With pic

LittleBoPeep1

Songster
6 Years
Mar 12, 2015
This chick is 5wks old. Tonight, I noticed that her tail feathers were dropping, she looked tired (although it was evening), and she sneezed a few times (after I changed the bedding). Is this normal or should I be concerned? all the other chicks seem fine.
1542946333236283756629.jpg

She looks unwell in the picture to me.
Have you noticed any other symptoms? Unusual droppings? Will she eat or drink? Have you checked her for pasty butt?
The more information you give the better chance you have of getting good advice from more experienced members.

Thanks for following up:) She seemed to be still sick:( It seems respiratory related. I added oxytetracycline to her water. We'll see if that helps :fl

I can't find which poop is hers in the brooder. Symptoms: lethargy, dropping tail, some sneezing, breathing with mouth open when picked up. All chicks have empty crops before bed. Can't remember the exact dose, but also added some chick booster to the water as well. Thank you for all the help:)

I can't find which poop is hers in the brooder. Symptoms: lethargy, dropping tail, some sneezing, breathing with mouth open when picked up. All chicks have empty crops before bed. Can't remember the exact dose, but also added some chick booster to the water as well. Thank you for all the help:)
Do they breath with their mouth open when they are in the brooder or only when picked up?
What temperature are you keeping the brooder at? Is there only 1 warm spot or is all of it the same temperature.

Do you turn the light off at night? If the light is on 24/7 then I would expect for the crop to never completely empty since the birds would eat during all hours.

I know you are treating with antibiotics, but with those symptoms and the age of the birds I would also treat for Coccidiosis. Do you have any Corid on hand?
If not, I would get some asap and begin treatment.
Dosage is 1 1/2 teaspoons Corid powder or 2 teaspoons of 9.6% Corid liquid per gallon of water. Give for 5-7 days - make sure this is the ONLY water available during that time period. Mix a fresh batch at least once a day.

After seeing a chick with Coccidiosis, I am now almost sure that is what it is. I switched the chicks to medicated feed and they will be on Corid for five days now.
Thank you so much for helping!!!:)

Back
Top Bottom