Sick Chick

Chickletz

In the Brooder
Jan 1, 2016
NY
one of my 7mo. old hens is doing a coughing/honking sound. Picked her up and she sounded a little raspy while breathing, no eye discharge or any other signs of foul play
big_smile.png
. Any suggestions???
Thanks!!

Sometimes they can come down with a slight respiratory problem that they get over in a week or so, I would also make sure there isn't any moldy bedding and that they have good ventilation in the coop, if it worsens you could treat with an antibiotic for respiratory problems.

Please help i have an almost 7 week old pullet that is somewhat having problems breathing and has a mucas that is bubbling when she breathes i have 16 pullets all kept together using the deep bedding as they are in my outside garage that has two 250 heat bulbs i was able to get her to eat some apple blueberry baby food but she won't drink and she feels lighter then everyone else and is the only one showing these signs her vent area is clear but she is acting lethargic and all puffed up

thanks for the help greatly appreciated. Just did a thorough cleaning of the coop this morning so will keep my fingers crossed in hopes it's just allergies
fl.gif

Last edited:
Please help i have an almost 7 week old pullet that is somewhat having problems breathing and has a mucas that is bubbling when she breathes i have 16 pullets all kept together using the deep bedding as they are in my outside garage that has two 250 heat bulbs i was able to get her to eat some apple blueberry baby food but she won't drink and she feels lighter then everyone else and is the only one showing these signs her vent area is clear but she is acting lethargic and all puffed up
It couple be a respiratory infection or it could be a mold or it could be a lack of ventilation, why are there two heat lamps on them, she looks fully feathered and should be weaned off extra heat, are they getting good air exchange in your garage, stale hot air is bad for chickens, get some fresh air moving and clean out any dirty bedding and make sure you aren't closing them up tight, if she doesn't improve from fresher air than a round of antibiotics might be needed.

Thank you all I took the chicken to my vet who immediately said she is suffering and put her down. We then did a necroposy and discovered that she had tried to eat a string and it had gotten caught in her crop to her gizzard. Other then that my vet said the chicken was pristine and would have lived easily to 8 yrs.

Thank you all I took the chicken to my vet who immediately said she is suffering and put her down. We then did a necroposy and discovered that she had tried to eat a string and it had gotten caught in her crop to her gizzard. Other then that my vet said the chicken was pristine and would have lived easily to 8 yrs.
never would have guessed that, good thing you have a vet.

Back
Top Bottom