Sick chick?

Serchick

Chirping
Apr 21, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Cross posted in raising chicks
Saturday the 23rd our 7 chicks arrived by mail. They were hatched Wednesday. They spent the day in the brooder eating & drinking before being stuck under our broody hen that night. They were in a seperate enclosure within the chicken run for 2 days. There were 2 cases of pasty butt, but no other problems noticed early on. After that they have been let into the run for longer & longer times, under observation at first to handle any problems with our 6 other hens. All seemed well. One chick was more tired than the others, frequently dozing off away from the others in the run, but was seen eating, drinking & pooping normally. She did fall down or get run over more than the other, so was named Drunken. Wednesday morning when the chickens were let out Drunken was lying in her little coop stretched out & cool. She was not dead & was moving a bit, but died shortly after in our inside brooder. We warmed her a bit & gave her some vitamin drops but had little hope. Her legs were stretched out long & her wings were up above her back. Looking online meningitis seemed the best fit. This morning another chick is acting tired, sitting away from her family as they scratch. She is sick, too, I think. What can we do?

Since the chicks have been with the flock, there's a chance they picked up coccidiosis. It has about a five day incubation. To be safe, I suggest Corid for all the flock.

I thought the main coccidosis sign was blood in the poo? Their poo has been normal. Is corid the one I put in the water? we've never had sick chickens before - injured, but not sick - sorry for all the questions! We just replaced all the coop bedding because we moved the run. Do I need to do 2 rounds or some things say keep giving it all year? Do I withhold eggs? Could I just change the chicks feed to medicated starter feed?

It hurts nothing to treat for coccidiosis. Blood in the stools shows up later when the disease starts attacking the intestinal lining. Among the first symptoms are lethargy, fluffing up, and decreased appetites.

If it's not coccidiosis that killed your chick, I would consider the water source. If you are using unfiltered well water with high iron content, that could be behind it. Also, examine the feed for mold or spoilage.

Back
Top Bottom