Sick chick???

rosestar23

In the Brooder
May 31, 2020
I got some chicks today from the local hardware store. We brought them home, and my 8 year old daughter snuggled this chick for like 4 hours this afternoon. Now she seems lethargic and her wings are hanging lower than the other chicks and I’m worried she is sick. She didn’t seem to eat or drink, she is smaller than the other chicks, so I have her separate right now and am getting her to drink little bits of water and sav a chick, but I’m worried she might die. What can I do to help her? TIA!
2E0B7BCC-4B80-42E4-B178-3739B9E0C5EF.jpeg

What is the temperature? She was likely out of the brooder too long for that age, and may have gotten chilled if the temperature was not high enough. (Looks like maybe a 1 week old chick so guideline is 85-90°). Handling chicks that young should only be done for short periods as they’re still very fragile. I would return her to the warm brooder and dip her beak in water so she’ll know where it is.

It was in the 70s today, we had them outside in the sun while I was getting everything set up. We were told they were 2+ weeks old, they have been at the store almost two weeks plus a couple days from hatch to the store, so I had set up my brooder at 85 degrees, but I could warm it a little more if you think that would help. She is drinking some and had a couple liquid poops, I’m assuming from the stress of the day. I can’t get her to eat anything, but I’m not sure they gave me the correct food. They had me buy pellets, I would have thought that would be for older chickens, but the others seem to be eating them. I’m sitting with them all now and she seems tired, but I have been dipping her beak off and on trying to encourage her to hydrate, while I have been reading about chickens trying to decide if she’s sick or just stressed. Is there something more I should be doing? Or just continue? Thank you for your help! I really appreciate it! I’m so worried my daughters favorite chick is going to die and she will be heartbroken.

If she’s drinking on her own that’s a good sign. I would keep the brooder around 85° and see how they respond. If they’re spread out that’s good, if they’re pressing the walls it’s too hot, hunched together too cold. They shouldn’t be eating pellets, they should be eating chick starter crumbles at that age. if it’s the right formula (starter/grower) then you can grind it up for them. adding a bit of water to soften it can also help. main thing is don’t handle her for a while and see how she does.

If she’s drinking on her own that’s a good sign. I would keep the brooder around 85° and see how they respond. If they’re spread out that’s good, if they’re pressing the walls it’s too hot, hunched together too cold. They shouldn’t be eating pellets, they should be eating chick starter crumbles at that age. if it’s the right formula (starter/grower) then you can grind it up for them. adding a bit of water to soften it can also help. main thing is don’t handle her for a while and see how she does.
Thank you! She is not drinking on her own at this time. The others seem fine. I just checked the temp and it is down to 82 so I lowered the heat lamp a little to try to warm her up. She keeps passing this clear feces??? Not sure if she’s eaten. I may try to give her a little scrambled egg or something. Still reading on why exactly to feed her, maybe she’s younger than the rest? Eye is definitely smaller than the rest. Thank you for the help!

This is what they recommended at the hardware store. I questioned it, but the girl said it was what they needed. So what should I really get for them at 2 weeks?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    596.7 KB · Views: 9
You’ll often have one or more chicks smaller than the others, that’s not a sign necessarily that they’re sick or weaker. Try to balancing nursing her with the fact that all the attention and handling is additional stress for her and could have the inverse effect of making it harder for her to heal. As long as she knows there’s fresh water and some food nearby there’s not too much more to do for her except let her rest and recover.
Thank you! She is not drinking on her own at this time. The others seem fine. I just checked the temp and it is down to 82 so I lowered the heat lamp a little to try to warm her up. She keeps passing this clear feces??? Not sure if she’s eaten. I may try to give her a little scrambled egg or something. Still reading on why exactly to feed her, maybe she’s younger than the rest? Eye is definitely smaller than the rest. Thank you for the help!

Back
Top Bottom