Sick chicken, can’t figure out with what though…

msheppard0728

Chirping
Jun 6, 2020
Speckled Sussex, 11 weeks old, fine in the morning, and by lunch she has the following symptoms…ruffled feathers, lethargic, not eating or drinking, clear stringy fluid in her beak, and by the afternoon is shaking her head a lot. Withing about 9 hours, she’s only had 2 poops (that I can tell in the hemp shavings)…1st was small but looked normal. 2nd was white, mucusy and few bubbles. Brought her in from the coop at lunch when I noticed something was up, she’s in a crate with access to food and water (I’ve got Strong Animals Chicken E-lixer in her water). I’ve done a web search for hours now and can’t pinpoint what it might be. Any help greatly appreciated!

Photos of her and her poop?

I'd be inclined to treat for Coccidiosis.
Do make sure her crop is emptying overnight as well.

I'd cut out the Elixer too if you've been giving it daily. It has quite a bit of calcium in it for such a young bird. Provide her with fresh plain water until you can get the Corid.

Liquid Corid dose is 2tsp or Powdered Corid Dose is 1 1/2tsp per gallon of water given for 5-7 days as the only source of drinking water.
Do not add any extra vitamins/electrolytes that contain B1(Thiamine) to food or water during the course of treatment.

Thanks for the advice! The Chicken E-Lixer has not been given ongoing, only added it last night because it has the vitamins, electrolytes and oregano. Wasn’t aware that the calcium might not be a good thing right now. What about ACV and plain oregano drops?

I do have some corid liquid on hand. With improvement this morning and poop pics, do you still think that’s needed?

She’s definitely perked up this morning! She’s pacing because she hears the other same age chicks in the garage (a trade off from a friends flock that are still quarantining). Shaking her head less, 2 small poops since I’ve been out here that are starting to look more normal (just small), and she’s attempted to get water once on her own but didn’t keep drinking. Attempted the crumbles twice but only got a crumble each time then stopped. Not seeing the clear ooze as much but she keeps getting shavings stuck to her beak so I know some is still there. Not holding her mouth open at all. Pics attached.
-Creamy poop was last night (didn’t get a pic of her normal poop last night, small but normal looking).
-2 pics of her is from last night (sleep standing and mouth open)
-Looks like a small Cecal poop (this morning)
-Another small poop from this morning

Attachments

• IMG_5202.jpeg
    IMG_5202.jpeg
    741.8 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_5211.png
    IMG_5211.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_5213.png
    IMG_5213.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_5210.jpeg
    IMG_5210.jpeg
    531.6 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_5215.jpeg
    IMG_5215.jpeg
    664.8 KB · Views: 2
She’s still definitely off even though she seems more lively this morning. Shaking her head some still. Had a poop from last pic that started to look closer to normal. Now she’s just laid another creamy one like last night. She alternates between sleeping and pacing (and being cuddled by me). Here are pics of her just now, and the most recent poop I’m not thrilled about.

Attachments

• IMG_5218.jpeg
    IMG_5218.jpeg
    659.5 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_5219.jpeg
    IMG_5219.jpeg
    614.4 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_5220.jpeg
    IMG_5220.jpeg
    759.7 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_5217.jpeg
    IMG_5217.jpeg
    488.1 KB · Views: 2
Thanks for the advice! The Chicken E-Lixer has not been given ongoing, only added it last night because it has the vitamins, electrolytes and oregano. Wasn’t aware that the calcium might not be a good thing right now. What about ACV and plain oregano drops?

I do have some corid liquid on hand. With improvement this morning and poop pics, do you still think that’s needed?

She’s definitely perked up this morning! She’s pacing because she hears the other same age chicks in the garage (a trade off from a friends flock that are still quarantining). Shaking her head less, 2 small poops since I’ve been out here that are starting to look more normal (just small), and she’s attempted to get water once on her own but didn’t keep drinking. Attempted the crumbles twice but only got a crumble each time then stopped. Not seeing the clear ooze as much but she keeps getting shavings stuck to her beak so I know some is still there. Not holding her mouth open at all. Pics attached.
-Creamy poop was last night (didn’t get a pic of her normal poop last night, small but normal looking).
-2 pics of her is from last night (sleep standing and mouth open)
-Looks like a small Cecal poop (this morning)
-Another small poop from this morning
Acv won't do anything and oregano drops can burn her before they help.
What's her diet?
hows her crop?

Acv won't do anything and oregano drops can burn her before they help.
What's her diet?
hows her crop?
Before being put in the crate in the garage, she free ranged and has access to Natures Best Organic Chick starter/Grower Crumbles

And I can’t tell about her crop…no matter how much research I do and try to feel around, I don’t feel confident in locating and knowing if it’s full or not. If I had to say, my gut tells me it’s empty because I don’t think I feel anything out if the norm? But the way she stretches and clears her throat, and had the clear from her mouth (not her nose) makes me think it still could possible be impacted crop??

Last edited:
Speckled Sussex, 11 weeks old, fine in the morning, and by lunch she has the following symptoms…ruffled feathers, lethargic, not eating or drinking, clear stringy fluid in her beak, and by the afternoon is shaking her head a lot. Withing about 9 hours, she’s only had 2 poops (that I can tell in the hemp shavings)…1st was small but looked normal. 2nd was white, mucusy and few bubbles. Brought her in from the coop at lunch when I noticed something was up, she’s in a crate with access to food and water (I’ve got Strong Animals Chicken E-lixer in her water). I’ve done a web search for hours now and can’t pinpoint what it might be. Any help greatly appreciated!
She could be eating the bedding you have and gotten impacted, but I don't really know. You would have to see for chickens but when my duck was impacted we gave her a little coconut oil a day and she cleared up with in 3 or 4 days

Thank you for the responses! Current update, she’s eating and drinking on her own, and seems to be back to her normal self!!! Weird, but thankful. Poops look healthy, no clear fluid from the mouth, all looks healthy!! Keeping her in the garage for a bit longer still, just to make sure she’s got a private space to fully recover and not back track. So thankful for this website and members, a place to come to when I need support and know from other chicken owners!!

Back
Top Bottom